Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-06-2011, 10:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 156

Bullnose Corner bead question

Hey guys a quick question I have created a bulkhead all the way around my basement ceiling and I am going to use the rounded corner bead on the bulkhead. However in the corner of the bulkhead I made a 45 degree angles instead a traditional 90 degree corner. Is there a 45 degree plastic transition piece. I would essentially need two for each corner. Hopefully this will help especially if you have google sketch up
Attached Files
File Type: skp bulkhead question.skp (21.9 KB, 93 views)

ryan5068 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:01 PM   #2

Here is a picture of the bulkhead corner in question. It is a true 45 degree angle. Thanks in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Bullnose Corner bead question-basement-002.jpg  

Old 03-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #3
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Rewards Points: 2,000

You can run one edge long, and (carefully and slowly cutting) use a miter saw to cut an abutting piece at 22.5 degrees. Slide it into the side of the previously installed long edge like a cope cut.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #4

okay I could probably handle that but do they make a 45 degree piece like they do with the 90 degree angle?
Old 03-07-2011, 12:17 AM   #5
Phoenix

Rewards Points: 75

They probably do but I have never seen one. Willie is right, just take your time with your cuts & you will be fine. For both plastic & metal bullnose i use tin snips to make my cuts, they are rarely perfect .. BUT .. they are always close enough that a good drywall finisher will make them look beautiful (even me)
Axecutioner-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 12:32 AM   #6

Okay thanks I will do it that way. Now another question how do you attach the vinyl bead. Do you use staples a specific staple to attach them to the sheetrock. Do they make a stainless steel staple so they wont rust. I have seen the just plain metal staples rust. Thanks
Old 03-07-2011, 11:36 AM   #7
Phoenix

Rewards Points: 75

Metal staples shouldn't rust under the drywall mud. For vinyl bead we staple them with a pnuematic stapler with 1" or 1 1/4" staples. You can use a spray adhesive but for long straight runs like you have i don't think that would be necessary. The spray adhesive does work good tho & with your concern about rusty staples maybe spray adhesive would be the good alternative. If i were doing the work in your picture i would be using metal bullnose with staples, but thats just me.
Axecutioner-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:12 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 254

yes they make that transitional piece , are you using the wide bullknose or the thin one ? i prefer the wide one ... go to a drywall supply house and they can get you set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Bullnose Corner bead question-trim-pieces-004-medium-.jpg   Bullnose Corner bead question-trim-pieces-005-medium-.jpg  
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 10:21 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 254

hers a wide bullnose i did with a glass block wall.
Attached Thumbnails
Bullnose Corner bead question-wall-002-copy-medium-.jpg  
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 08:18 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 91

Is it like this one? Look at the bottom of the page here and see if it looks right. I haven't used one like it yet, but have a similar need soon. http://trim-tex.com/products/34bullnose.php
JoeLena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #11
Masters in Drywall

Rewards Points: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan5068 View Post
Hey guys a quick question I have created a bulkhead all the way around my basement ceiling and I am going to use the rounded corner bead on the bulkhead. However in the corner of the bulkhead I made a 45 degree angles instead a traditional 90 degree corner. Is there a 45 degree plastic transition piece. I would essentially need two for each corner. Hopefully this will help especially if you have google sketch up
Yes there are fittings for both vinyl and metal bullnose. Make sure you match the right size to the bead you buy. Basic bullnose comes in 5/8" round for a slighly tighter roundness or a 3/4" for a slightly wider roundness.

Tip...when sheetrocking make sure you hold the sheetrock flush to the wood on both sides of the corner or the bead won't properly fit.

I personally use vinyl bullnose because it's easier to use a miter saw and cut the inside corners instead of aligning fittings. Outside corners you have to use the fittings.

Note...when inside corners are mitered a small bead of caulk around the joint just before texturing (or painting) works nice.

To cut with a miter saw I made a block of wood to place the bead on to help.

To apply the vinyl bead I simply use a duo-fast hand stapler to put them on and then mesh tape along the entire edge to prevent cracking.

Last edited by MnDrywallRanger; 03-13-2011 at 04:29 PM.
MnDrywallRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:43 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrivers View Post
hers a wide bullnose i did with a glass block wall.

Nice work. How did you go about applying that brick pattern? Is it just etched into a skim coat?

SuperHans is offline   Reply With Quote