Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #1
SPB

Rewards Points: 25

Bulging Drywall Seams

I just had my new basement taped 2 weeks ago and everything looked right at the time. In my bedroom We had a 150 wat bulb so everyone could see well. Well today I tried to put a dimmer light bulb in with the fiture and also tried just putting on the lamp. When I do this there are 3 seperate spots where there are bulging spots right where a joint of the drywall had met. How do I go about fixing this? I had had it hired out, but now it looks bad. You can't see it with the full light on but with the lamp on it is really bad and most of the time the lamp will be the only thing we use. The bulge spot is the witdth of the sheetrock so 54.4 inches long by about 3 inches wide. The walls are now painted and that what makes it stick out. Please let me know how I can fi this.

SPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 07:37 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bulging Drywall Seams

you need to add compound with a wide knife to spread out the bulge and feather the edges. Then prime and paint again. A qualified installed would have done several things to avoid this. 1) check and fix or inform the builder or homeowner that the studs need to be addressed. In your case this stud was placed with excessive crown or was too wet and bowed latter. 2) used a tapered backer to avoid butt joints over a stud. 3) the finish is done professionally and no bulges would show. Also a light is used to inspect the work before and after priming. Seems like both of these steps were left out. In short you tried to save money by hiring a cheap hack and you now have to pay the penalty.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 06:29 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Bulging Drywall Seams

Common problem on butt seams, it needs to be widened out to deceive the eyes. Sometimes tapers hump out the butts just to cover the tape, Call whoever did it and tell him to come and fix it if he had charged you there should not be a problem with him coming back to fix it.
silverstilts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Bulging Drywall Seams

"Critical lighting" can often bring out flaws in the finishing. The type of paint may add to the problem. Is it an "eggshell" or glossy paint?? Often it's just the difference in the texture of the finished joint and the face paper on the drywall that highlights the joint, not necessarily a true bulge. The sanded joint compound is much smoother than the paper. Additional mudwork will likely take care of the problem if it is a bulged joint...