DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Brown spots on ceiling after skim coating

34K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  jlethert 
#1 ·
Hello all,

I am redoing a home I just bought, the walls are plaster. I just skim coated the entire house with 20 minute and then compound. The day after I finished, these brown spots started to appear on the ceilings of the bedrooms (but not the kitchen ceiling or any walls). There were only a few spots in the morning, but after 8 hours, the ceiling looks like this..

I have not primed yet, and was thinking to stainblock with some Killz oil based.. and then prime with Killz water based.

Has anyone seen this before? What's the cause of it? Thanks in advance. I am hoping to paint later this week, but this just totally threw me off!

See less See more
#7 ·
We added a coat of BIN. After it dried, we added a very light coat of compound and then lightly sanded. Then prime and paint. Came out great.

I talked to some painters and they said sometimes when there is stained oil based paint, they will spray a first coat of BIN, then skim with compound, then prime and paint.

Thought I'd share the update in case anyone else runs into it.

Thanks everyone for the great input.

#8 ·
I have some areas that look exactly like this. I have re-textured whole house which has had varying surfaces, some new, primed, some original surface semi-gloss painted. The areas that this occured, had been old semi-gloss paint that was skim coated first and then when light trowel texture was applied the 2nd day, the following am it looked like this. I did not see anything coming through 1st coat/skim coat. Is it possible the skim coat was not dry? Some of it was exterior wall, interior wall, and ceiling, mainly in one room, not other areas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.