Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 11
Share |
Default

Brand new drywall crack in 8 year old house


Hello! My wife just told me to come look at something. When I followed, I looked up and saw the following underneath our cathedral ceiling:


Here is a little bit of a closeup of the top and bottom of the crack.



I have never seen this crack before tonight. Admittedly, I don't look there all the time, but I would've hoped that I would've seen this developing if it was a slow crack. I'm guessing it happened very recently.

Because we found out about this roughly an hour ago, I've been reading on this site and others about possible causes. It has been very hot in Louisiana this last month. I haven't noticed any other cracks in the house except for one. That crack was from tape (that's what the guy who built my house said when he came over for a different reason and looked at it) and has not moved.

Basically, I'd just like to know...how worried about this should I be? I obviously want to fix it, but my DIY skills are a bit lacking. Is there an easy fix to try, or with something like this, should I call the contractor and ask him to stop by and have a look? My house was built in 2003, and this is the first major crack that I've seen. I'm hoping it doesn't expand any further...

Thanks for your help!

Silly Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:19 PM   #2
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,685
Default

Brand new drywall crack in 8 year old house


You better call your contractor again. That shouldn't be major fix but it also won't be a quick or easy fix for a DIY'er.

Let's see now. Louisiana...is your heating and air conditioning system located in your attic?

__________________
My nomination for DIY Chatroom Project of the Month is: http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 03:35 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 11
Default

Brand new drywall crack in 8 year old house


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
You better call your contractor again. That shouldn't be major fix but it also won't be a quick or easy fix for a DIY'er.

Let's see now. Louisiana...is your heating and air conditioning system located in your attic?
Yes. In fact, if you see the photo, you'll see the main vent next to this crack. Seeing this reminded me to change the filter too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan092 View Post
I think it is the problematic drywall, a great product liability issue prevailing these days. It is better that you get it checked because with it comes many other problems as well!

you can get a bit of info about Problematic Drywall in here :

http://www.chinesedrywalladvisors.co...l-problem.html
Ugh, I hope that's not it. I thought our house was built before all that started happening, but that link says that it started in 2001. I didn't realize that it went back that far.
Silly Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:14 AM   #4
KemoSabe
 
loneframer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 644
Default

Brand new drywall crack in 8 year old house


While that may well be Chinese drywall, I don't see how that has anything to do with a crack in the ceiling.

My guess is there has been movement due to temperature extremes and atmospheric conditions, such as humidity or lack thereof.

Depending on how the house is framed, movement of the roof trusses may also have been a factor.

If the metal fixtures in your house are corroding, or you smell rotten eggs, you may have a Chinese drywall problem.
__________________
It's not that it took him an hour to make 100 bucks, it's that it didn't take you 10 hours to save 100 bucks.
loneframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:41 AM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 11
Default

Brand new drywall crack in 8 year old house


Quote:
Originally Posted by loneframer View Post
While that may well be Chinese drywall, I don't see how that has anything to do with a crack in the ceiling.

My guess is there has been movement due to temperature extremes and atmospheric conditions, such as humidity or lack thereof.

Depending on how the house is framed, movement of the roof trusses may also have been a factor.

If the metal fixtures in your house are corroding, or you smell rotten eggs, you may have a Chinese drywall problem.
I haven't noticed any fixtures corroding, and obvious jokes aside, I can't say I've smelled any rotten egg odors. It has been unseasonably warm (even for Louisiana summer) for the last month or so. I'm just surprised by how fast that crack appeared.
Silly Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 11:25 AM   #6
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,685
Default

Brand new drywall crack in 8 year old house


I was thinking the vibrations from the heat/cool units may have contributed. I know in that part of the country those units are usually placed in the attic. When I lived in Texas years ago, cracking of the ceiling drywall in the vicinity of the units wasn't unusual. If I remember correctly the units were sometimes hung from the roof rafters also.

Your contractor is the place to begin.
__________________
My nomination for DIY Chatroom Project of the Month is: http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 11
Default

Brand new drywall crack in 8 year old house


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
I was thinking the vibrations from the heat/cool units may have contributed. I know in that part of the country those units are usually placed in the attic. When I lived in Texas years ago, cracking of the ceiling drywall in the vicinity of the units wasn't unusual. If I remember correctly the units were sometimes hung from the roof rafters also.

Your contractor is the place to begin.
That makes sense, and it's really close to where the main A/C unit is. I already called and left a message, so I anticipate a call back relatively soon, considering that it's a holiday weekend. Now I just have to hope that it's not an expensive fix.
Silly Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,289
Default

Brand new drywall crack in 8 year old house


The fix will (or should) involve cutting out the bad section and re drywalling that place---

Depending on the situation,the drywaller might 'float' the board over the parts that are moving(no screws) to prevent the moving stud from tearing the drywall again.

Fix is cheap---paint ,however is another matter.
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:27 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 11
Default

Brand new drywall crack in 8 year old house


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
The fix will (or should) involve cutting out the bad section and re drywalling that place---

Depending on the situation,the drywaller might 'float' the board over the parts that are moving(no screws) to prevent the moving stud from tearing the drywall again.

Fix is cheap---paint ,however is another matter.
That doesn't sound as bad as I was thinking (I have visions of knocking out entire sections of the wood or the a/c brace to fix it). Now I just have to remember what shade of green we used eight years ago (or just bring a lot of green swatches home)! I wonder if contractors keep notes on jobs from that far ago....(although if they're cutting a piece out, I could always try to match that. Hmm..)

Last edited by Silly Burrito; 06-30-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Silly Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
DIY staff
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Kane county,Illinois
Posts: 21,289
Default

Brand new drywall crack in 8 year old house


Some times parts just move---Good luck on the paint. Your wife just might want a nice new color!
__________________
New members: Adding your location to your profile helps in many ways.--M--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:34 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 11
Default

Brand new drywall crack in 8 year old house


Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Some times parts just move---Good luck on the paint. Your wife just might want a nice new color!
"And while we're at it, we could use a new couch and recliner..."
Silly Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silly Burrito For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-30-2011)
Old 06-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #12
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,685
Default

Brand new drywall crack in 8 year old house


You can take a small piece of the old painted drywall (after it is removed) to any paint store and they can scan the color and match it perfectly. The miracles of modern science.
__________________
My nomination for DIY Chatroom Project of the Month is: http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:18 PM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 11
Default

Brand new drywall crack in 8 year old house


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
You can take a small piece of the old painted drywall (after it is removed) to any paint store and they can scan the color and match it perfectly. The miracles of modern science.
Now I just need the automatic painting Roomba and I'll be set!

What? There is no such thing?? Come on science!!!
Silly Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:22 PM   #14
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,685
Default

Brand new drywall crack in 8 year old house


Quote:
Now I just need the automatic painting Roomba and I'll be set!
You can't find a neighborhood dumb teenager that needs a few bucks?
__________________
My nomination for DIY Chatroom Project of the Month is: http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/gulf-...uilding-34958/
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 04:29 PM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 11
Default

Brand new drywall crack in 8 year old house


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
You can't find a neighborhood dumb teenager that needs a few bucks?
Well, there is one guy that I know, but he always makes the job sound so much fun that I end up doing the work myself. Dangit, Tom....

Silly Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Low Voltage Light Switches...40 year old house derekspudich Electrical 28 08-22-2011 12:34 AM
Drywall in old house Cossack Building & Construction 1 02-15-2011 09:12 AM
Recurring drywall crack? kcrossley2 Drywall & Plaster 2 11-18-2008 09:03 AM
Repainting the house this year creamaster Painting 1 07-13-2008 09:00 PM
Why do drywall joints crack in garages? Weelee929 General DIY Discussions 3 01-06-2006 07:30 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.