Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-26-2012, 01:13 PM   #1

Share |

braced enough for sheetrock ???

Adding a new mural behind the stove and had to cut out the old one since the mastic was really on good. Now I want to stick a new piece of sheetrock in but it's about 1/34 inches away from the corners. Also the tile moulding pieces probably need more bracing. Any recommendations ? THANKS
Attached Thumbnails
braced enough for sheetrock ???-img_1113.jpg   braced enough for sheetrock ???-img_1114.jpg  

zman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:38 PM   #2
Tileguy

How are you going to tape the new piece of wallboard to the old? Or were you thinking of using caulk instead of grout?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #3

Jazman,
I decided to notch the exposed studs up top , middle and bottom and then slip in 1X4 lumber to extend behind the sheetrock in 3 locations. Adding a little PL or something behind it as well. This should create a fairly strong connection again.
You bring up a good point when I go to add the sheetrock back in. Any movement will crack the grout. Any suggestions ? Oh Mike suggested Easy Sand to dab the edges with.
I could always take a chance with grout and then remove and use caulk if the edges do start to crack. Or maybe use the TEC maching caulk on the edges right from the start. There will be 4X4 listellos (little pieces throughout them) on the perimeter. Not sure if that makes a difference. THANKS
zman22 is offline   Reply With Quote