Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Bosch screwgun

Not sure if this should be in tools, but since it's such a drywall specific tool.....

Any thoughts on the Bosch SG45M-50? Did a search here and in tools, nothing came back with the part number.

Here a HD link on it. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bosch-450...5#.Ua9Bh0CW_K1

There's a place close to me, one of those overstock/closeout joints, that has a few of them for $70 each. Just wondering if it's a worthwhile gun to get, at that price point, for some drywall hanging I have coming up?

Chokingdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Bosch screwgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chokingdogs View Post
Just wondering if it's a worthwhile gun to get, at that price point, for some drywall hanging I have coming up?
I don't keep up with all the "cool" and "in" language, so I really don't know........ but what is the point of adding the word point in a sentence like this?

Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Exterior Construction

Bosch screwgun

How much drywall do you have to do?

There are plenty of bits that drop into a standard drill and give you much of the same functionality.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:23 PM   #4

Bosch screwgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T View Post
I don't keep up with all the "cool" and "in" language, so I really don't know........ but what is the point of adding the word point in a sentence like this?
A price is simply the cost. A price point is relative to sales, and means a spike in sales relative to prices slightly higher, without a spike relative to sales slightly lower. 99 cents is a price point, because at 1 dollar sales drop off sharply, yet at 98 cents sales don't really increase much at all. It represents a special point on the price curve.

That's a perception price point, but they can also be related to other things, like what the competition is selling them for!

For example, a price point for drill/driver combo kits is $199. You can find a price like $205, but it's certainly not a price point.

As you might have guessed, the OP misunderstood the term, because while $99 might be a price point for screwguns, $103.61 certainly is not

Last edited by jeffnc; 06-06-2013 at 09:25 PM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #5
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Bosch screwgun

So, he meant basically, "At this low-ball price"?
Old 06-06-2013, 09:45 PM   #6

Bosch screwgun

Quote:
I think he just meant "at this price". It's not especially low. In fact, that's one of the dumbest prices you can put on a product. Lowball prices are to be found at Harbor Freight. They have "price points" that you will never see at Lowes or Home Depot!
Old 06-06-2013, 10:14 PM   #7

Bosch screwgun

I use dewalt cordless.
Nailbags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #8

Bosch screwgun

Unless you plan on going into the drywall hanging business I can not see spending money on a single use tool at any price.
I bought 2, Ridgid brand drywall guns that got used one time. My guys when back to using impact drivers and the dimple tools and could do it just as fast and it was cordless.
I've been trying to 2 years to sell the two guns on Craigs list with no calls.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #9

Bosch screwgun

I bought the Bosch RSG-45 to use on my basement project. It seems to work good for me. I only paid $49.95 for it.
KStatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:40 PM   #10

Bosch screwgun

Quote:
In sales-speak, price point simply means "price", but adds "point" to indicate a hierarchy exists - in other words, you could pay more.
thatbobguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #11
Old School

Bosch screwgun

So really it's just someone trying to call their plain ol' car, a motorcoach.
Old 06-08-2013, 08:38 AM   #12

Bosch screwgun

Quote:
So really it's just someone trying to call their plain ol' car, a motorcoach.
No, it means what I said.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Price_point
Old 06-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #13
Old School

Bosch screwgun

As they used to say, "Kind of hard to tell, but I know about how it goes." This seems to be the kind of sales technique that will send me across the street to pay the extra few pennies because they are more honest in their presentation, and thus might also stand behind their product with a more solid reputation.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:08 AM   #14

Bosch screwgun

Quote:
A This seems to be the kind of sales technique that will send me across the street to pay the extra few pennies because they are more honest in their presentation, and thus might also stand behind their product with a more solid reputation.
Not sure how "price point" is relative to all that, but hey - I'm not saying there are no idiot salespeople. I'm just saying there's a well known concept of "price point" in economic theory, and if salespeople and marketers want to study their chosen field, it's up to them. I've seen a few tradespeople not knowing what they're talking about technically either :-) Doesn't mean the technology isn't correct.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:21 AM   #15
Old School

Bosch screwgun

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
Not sure how "price point" is relative to all that, but hey - I'm not saying there are no idiot salespeople. I'm just saying there's a well known concept of "price point" in economic theory, and if salespeople and marketers want to study their chosen field, it's up to them. I've seen a few tradespeople not knowing what they're talking about technically either :-) Doesn't mean the technology isn't correct.
Oh, I don't doubt any of that. After all we all honestly want to think we are paying $3.40 for gas, when it is actually $3.41. And you never hear a price quoted that isn't $ nn.99.

I just have an adversion to being "worked" or "played" or "handled" when I recognize it. And I have a problem trusting companies that push that angle.