DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

A bit of advice? To build a bathroom

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  Jim F 
#1 ·
I'm a pretty smart guy, just yesterday I replaced a laptop LCD with no prior experience or guides, in about 15 minutes. I think I should be able to handle some wood work and building. (also build polycarbonate computer cases for fun). I wanted to see your reactions when I said I want to put up a few wall,s first time, and only books / internet for instruction. I'm finishing up my degree in comp science. I got a new roommate and I'm going to use his income to build a small bathroom, and give my other roommate finished walls. We are talking, 2, maybe 3 walls (dryer already has a wood frame, so that could be the third wall. Off the top of me head, it would be maybe 6-10 ft by 12 ft. I'd hire a contractor to install the electrical, and shower / toilet. No flooring for now.. What do you all think? Over my head? I have a month till classes start again and I do work full time.

#11 · (Edited)
Before you even start, fix the dryer ducting. Hose clamps, not duct tape is required. No transition duct (white flex) inside a wall. The white flex is illegal, needs to be foil faced. Extend the straight metal pipe down, add an elbow. Check the termination hood, see if it is a 4" (Type A), 30% more volume than the 2-1/2": http://www.appliance411.com/faq/dryer-vent-length.shtml http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...X-cV2r&sig=AHIEtbRqP1_bx_SQclGLup65cYgFwMvULw

May also want to change your rim insulation with all that money you're making: http://www.rd.com/57548/article57548.html

Be safe, Gary

Reactions: L4nce0
#2 ·
do you own this building?

you will need permits in most areas of the country.

anybody can build a wall. Building a proper wall that is both structurally sound and aesthetically pleasing takes a bit of knowledge and skill.

If you are going to put a door in the wall, you just kicked the difficulty up a notch.

but, if you want to give it a go, there are some very experienced guys around here that can walk you through just about anything.

#3 ·
Yes I own the house. How hard is it to get a permit? Yeah a door for the bathroom would be best. For the majority I assume I'll be doing it solo. I may convince my father who lives an hour away (with little free time, hes a senior software engineer) to come help. He has all the experience..

Oh if I didn't like a challenge, I wouldn't be in a major I have to study 20 hours a week in =)

#4 ·
. How hard is it to get a permit?
most places it is simply a matter of going to the local building department and slapping down you money. You will likely need a permit for the structure, the plumbing, and the electrical. You will likely be required to provide some level of drawing to show what you are doing.

Yeah a door for the bathroom would be best.
there's that kicking it up a notch. Throwing doors is definitely a learned skill. Practice makes perfect.

I may convince my father who lives an hour away (with little free time, hes a senior software engineer) to come help.
a softeare engineer leading a computer science major. Is that something like the blind leading the blind :whistling2:

He has all the experience..
at what? If building trades, I am sure you are going to owe dad big time once this is done.:laughing:

I am starting to question this statement from your first post though:

I'm a pretty smart guy
just kidding.

To start, you need to speak with your local building department to find out what you can do as an individual, what has to be done by a pro, and what you need to provide them in order to obtain a permit.

#6 · (Edited)
I am starting to question this statement from your first post though:
Haha, I said I was smart, not well learned. The smart thing to do is get a feel, rather then maxing a card at home depo and listening to sales men on what to buy.

No my dad built houses growing up, and in my lifetime finished two large basements from scratch. Don't underestimate us software guys. We charge you 50 an hour because we know people are afraid to use google.

Hmm 200 a day? That aint bad, just a bit over what I'm making as an IT intern... though in all honesty, what kind of hours am I looking at? the goal is basic basic basic. Wall, drywall, shower, sink, door, and a light. Not looking to have it finished, least not this summer. The more I keep, the less I owe, and I kinda want to install new carpet within a year.

Bit messy, but it is storage for 2 people.

Lets rephrase this. My new renter is paying me 4400 dollars all up front. That is my max, and I wouldn't mind putting some if it towards my 1200 amex card debt, or buying books. I rather put it in the house, before I end up dating a girl and think I can afford 80 dollar dates.

#5 ·
if there are any out of work contractors around your area hiring one for the day would help you greatly. it shouldn't be too hard to get someone to work for $200/day

i want to comment on this project but it's hard without seeing what you have to work with. non load bearing walls aren't too difficult to stand up. they do however require access to the bare subfloor and the joist above your head. i know a comment was made about hanging doors bringing it up a notch. i don't totally agree with that as hanging a door is quite easy, framing one is as well provided you have the hung door to start with. anyway, back to why i think a contractor would be of help. using the plum bob or laser to get the wall straight. having an idea of how to structurally attach your new wall to the joist, there are a couple of ways you can do this and a skilled eye can tell you which is the easiest in your situation. if all you're doing is basic electrical like a socket and light you might be able to talk your contractor into either doing it or showing you how to if he doesn't want the risk of doing it unlicensed. if this room isn't plumbed that's probably going to be the biggest expense of all.

#7 ·
There really isn't anything -overall- basic about building a bathroom
Bathrooms & kitchens are the 2 most involved & usually cost the most
Plumbing - drain & vents alone can be a pain

Contact the building dept, have a rough layout of what you want to do
In some areas you can't do your own plumbing/electric etc
Personally I'd spend more then a month planning & detailing what I was going to do
Tracking down & buying fixtures, etc
...but what I buy needs wifes approval

#8 ·
I know it's not basic, but I mean I'm going bare minimum. I don't trust myself with plumbing and I know better then to try to do the electrical. A month seems like a lot of planning for 2 -3 walls, a shower and a sink... you probably would go all the way, flooring, tiles, I don't even plan on painting it ( well maybe, new roommate says he knows how)

#9 ·
is that a concrete floor that you want to place a shower on? If so, kick it up a couple more notches. Unless you are going to do a raised shower base, you will have to cut into the floor and connect it to the drain line going out of the house or sump

#12 ·
OKAY UPDATE

I had a contractor come out........
yeah.......
soooo.....
Well lets put it this way. To paint the small new bathroom, 800 dollars. for ~50 square feet of flooring, 600 dollars. Framing was around 2 grand, and they wanted 4 grand to do the plumbing. The total was 12k, and after I removed the painting floor etc it was still 8k+ tub + toilet + sink. My budget is no more then 4200, I cannot afford to make 200-400 dollar monthly loan payments. The other contractors I contacted didn't reply. I will not do any services with anyone that wants 800 dollars to paint a small bathroom!!!! I mean is their paint made out of Gold? I could hire a mural artist for around that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.