Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #1

Share |

Best way to repair this?

Help. So we moved into this house 2 years go. Its a split level. On the top floor I believe I'm having some truss uplift issues in the hallway in a few spots. However I have fixed those.

This issue is in our bedroom, and has gotten worse over the past year. There is no water damage. The truss' run perpendicular to the drywall seam. How would I go about repairing this?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to repair this?-image-2333687483.jpg   Best way to repair this?-image-272116107.jpg   Best way to repair this?-image-3990437883.jpg  
Mac2614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:10 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Best way to repair this?

Just a poor rock and tape job. The problem you are going to have, is the texture after fixing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 07:43 AM   #3

Best way to repair this?

So proper fix is cut out current tap at the seam, retape, mud, and texture?
Old 06-05-2013, 08:28 AM   #4

Best way to repair this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac2614 View Post
So proper fix is cut out current tap at the seam, retape, mud, and texture?
A little more to it than that. I may be wrong but that looks like a butt joint but I don't know why there would be one there. Anyway you will need to sand the texture off over to the edge and about a foot on the other side. Then go as planned.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:32 AM   #5

Best way to repair this?

Yuck, going to be a nice mess then
Old 06-05-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
Bill Kearney

Best way to repair this?

Honestly? Before you torture yourself with a textured ceiling, call a local drywall place and get a quote for having them do it. At least find out what it'd cost. Because DIY on this is an adventure and you'll have nobody but yourself to blame for how long it takes and how much you notice the work. Ceiling paint and drywall are one place I really never mind paying someone else to handle.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:52 AM   #7
Retired from the grind

Best way to repair this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
A little more to it than that. I may be wrong but that looks like a butt joint but I don't know why there would be one there. Anyway you will need to sand the texture off over to the edge and about a foot on the other side. Then go as planned.
Most likely all the condo's are like that. They probably took whatever materials they had left after one unit, and used in another, instead of buying enough rock for each one, just got one large load.

Remember, most of these places, the sub's are paid by the unit not per hour, and most do not care what happens to the place after they are done and paid, because they look at it, as not their problem, once everything is signed off, and their hands are out of the picture.

Five years tops is how most of these places last. My wife's grandmother's unit that she lives in, at a retirement village, there is a couple of cracks that are from heave. One runs straight across the ceiling, the other at an angle from the return duct, to the corner of the living room wall and hallway. All the units in the building have the same crack and maintenance will not repair the damage.

: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button?
: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!
: So what'll happen?
: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 12:15 PM   #8

Best way to repair this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
Most likely all the condo's are like that. They probably took whatever materials they had left after one unit, and used in another, instead of buying enough rock for each one, just got one large load.

Remember, most of these places, the sub's are paid by the unit not per hour, and most do not care what happens to the place after they are done and paid, because they look at it, as not their problem, once everything is signed off, and their hands are out of the picture.

Five years tops is how most of these places last. My wife's grandmother's unit that she lives in, at a retirement village, there is a couple of cracks that are from heave. One runs straight across the ceiling, the other at an angle from the return duct, to the corner of the living room wall and hallway. All the units in the building have the same crack and maintenance will not repair the damage.
Run into this BIG time in Fla. during the boom the only objective was to get done as quick as possible and move on to the next one. Thus we are now the world capitol for texture. Whice also means we are big in corner bead cracks, cracks above doorways and windows, and tape falling off. In fact in a lot of houses they did not tape where the wall and ceiling meet. Guess what happens after a couple years of opening doors to go in and out when the a/c is on there is enough vacuum that the drywall on the ceiling moves.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
Willie T (06-07-2013)
Old 06-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #9

Best way to repair this?

I would think that a good skim coat would make that butt joint disappear along with the texture.

Then you'd have the option of slopping on more tex or leaving smooth.
thatbobguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Best way to repair this?

Yeah, T.S., I would be willing to guess that we experience more D/W problems here than almost anywhere else.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (06-08-2013)
Old 06-08-2013, 07:38 AM   #11

Best way to repair this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatbobguy View Post
I would think that a good skim coat would make that butt joint disappear along with the texture.

Then you'd have the option of slopping on more tex or leaving smooth.
Just a skim coat won't make that texture go away it has to be sanded off back away from the joint to the edge on one side and probably about a foot on the other side. Then the joint needs taped (paper) then 3 coats of mud feathering each out a little farther. Then sand, prime, match texture, prime, then paint.
Old 06-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #12
Old School

Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.

Best way to repair this?

Maybe I missed it, but it seems we are again doing something so many novices do. We are patching the symptom, but dismissing the very important necessity of finding out WHY this problem occurred in the first place.

Don't you think all that is going to happen is that we will be doing this same "patch" job again somewhere in the future?

It probably wasn't just a bad taping or finish job. There was likely something else, and you owe it to yourself to go ahead and find out what it was.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote