Best Way To Fix Drywall Ceiling - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-15-2013, 07:28 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 268

Best way to fix drywall ceiling

Hello,

What is the best way to fix this? I am going to square it off to the next rafter on the left, but do I need to do the same for the right side? Or is just make a straight edge with that small gap OK as is? Once I have it fitted I planned to tape and mud followed by paint.
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to fix drywall ceiling-image-1835728319.jpg  

Advertisement

Old 02-15-2013, 07:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 678

Make it easy on yourself and cut it out along side of the wood not in the middle of it, just add a piece of 2 X 4 as a nailer to the side of it.
Use a framing square to lay out where to cut. You want nice straight lines.
Add a backer where it spans between the joist, a simple piece of 2 X 4 laying flat will work.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:17 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 268

Ok so I squared it off - is this ok or do I need to extend to the next rafter?

The left side is flush with the rafter - just need to add the 2x4 but the right side has another 13-14 inches until the next rafter and I would have to move my washer and dryer (which I'm trying to avoid)
Attached Thumbnails
Best way to fix drywall ceiling-image-433855561.jpg  
Old 02-15-2013, 12:33 PM   #4
Next Time...New Build

Rewards Points: 150

Take the left side over to the next joist, add a piece of 2*4 that runs the length of the cut to the side of that joist. This will be your nailer for the new piece of board.

On the right side, cut a chunk of 2*4 again, but this time lay it flat and screw in from the light side of that joist. This will give you something to screw the new and existing board to, much like what Joe stated.

You could also add a flat 2*4 on each end that would span between each joist if you like. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea so that way all seems are secured properly.
RickyBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyBobby View Post
Take the left side over to the next joist, add a piece of 2*4 that runs the length of the cut to the side of that joist. This will be your nailer for the new piece of board.

On the right side, cut a chunk of 2*4 again, but this time lay it flat and screw in from the light side of that joist. This will give you something to screw the new and existing board to, much like what Joe stated.

You could also add a flat 2*4 on each end that would span between each joist if you like. Probably wouldn't be a bad idea so that way all seems are secured properly.
This is just the way you want to go. I had a similar repair to my kitchen ceiling when I removed a ceiling exhaust fan from it and it is not an easy drywall patch job to do. The ceiling shows all your imperfections if you have any.
Larryh86GT is offline   Reply With Quote