Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 10:30 PM   #46
journeyman carpenter
 
woodworkbykirk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: nova scotia canada
Posts: 2,681
Share |
Default

Best Tools for Drywall Removal?


just pull the screws with a hammer or flat bar.. much faster than using a cordless drill or impact.. and using a recip or oscillating tool is just a waste of time..
if you get any screws that the head snaps off hit the screw shank with your hammer or use pliers to pull it

for the drywall itself, i just make a few large holes with my hammer to start out with from there i just pull down the drywall with my hands. and keep my hammer on my belt to start new holes if the sheets break on a stud which doesnt allow me to grab an edge..

this is easy peasy demolition.. this sorta thing i usually hire a demolition crew to handle. from there myself and the rest of the crew take over from there to handle any structural issues that need tending to which the demolition labors arent allowed to touch


Last edited by woodworkbykirk; 12-25-2011 at 10:37 PM.
woodworkbykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:37 PM   #47
Member
 
Ironlight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 701
Default

Best Tools for Drywall Removal?


I've just been through the same rodeo. A cordless impact driver will get those screws out faster than anything. The mud is not that hard...just jam the bit in and hit the trigger. They will come right out. Faster than breaking or sawing them and does not leave your joists full of metal that will get in the way down the road.

And I second the cautioning regarding dust. A good respirator is even better if you have it and some goggles.

Funny aside story: Years ago I got something in my eye and went to my doctor's office because it would not come out. The resident spent like 10 minutes fumbling to put dye in my eye and then look for the offending particle. I ended up having to go back a week later for a similar thing and the head doctor performed the same operation in less than 30 seconds. I asked him how he got so good at it. He smiled and said "My first office was across the street from a muffler repair shop." Took me a moment or two to figure out why that was relevant.
Ironlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #48
Facilities Maintenance
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sedro-Woolley WA
Posts: 280
Default

Best Tools for Drywall Removal?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironlight View Post
I've just been through the same rodeo. A cordless impact driver will get those screws out faster than anything. The mud is not that hard...just jam the bit in and hit the trigger. They will come right out. Faster than breaking or sawing them and does not leave your joists full of metal that will get in the way down the road.

And I second the cautioning regarding dust. A good respirator is even better if you have it and some goggles.

Funny aside story: Years ago I got something in my eye and went to my doctor's office because it would not come out. The resident spent like 10 minutes fumbling to put dye in my eye and then look for the offending particle. I ended up having to go back a week later for a similar thing and the head doctor performed the same operation in less than 30 seconds. I asked him how he got so good at it. He smiled and said "My first office was across the street from a muffler repair shop." Took me a moment or two to figure out why that was relevant.
Respirators would be good, but that can be costly depending on the type. Anyways, that's funny as heck lol
BigGuy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:52 AM   #49
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pa.
Posts: 95
Default

Best Tools for Drywall Removal?


Firefighters use a tool called a ceiling hook. they are long enough so that you can work off the floor instead of a ladder. The tool has a spear like point and below that is the hook. By punching some holes with the spear and then using the hook, you can pull down large pieces of drywall.
This would be faster then using a hammer or other tool that requires a ladder. Try doing a search for firefighter hand tools or firefighter ceiling hook. See if the distributor will sell you one.
Another idea is to contact your local fire department and ask how you can aquire one.
rjordan393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #50
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,164
Default

Best Tools for Drywall Removal?


Quote:
Firefighters use a tool called a ceiling hook.
"Fireman's Hook"...only $325.00 each at your local fireman's supply.
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:15 PM   #51
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pa.
Posts: 95
Default

Best Tools for Drywall Removal?


Bud,
Are you jesting? I already priced one out on the net at $90.00 for a 6 foot ceiling hook. Even that price is a bit high but it will save the poster from getting a sore back from working off a ladder. He has a couple of rooms to do.
rjordan393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 01:22 PM   #52
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,164
Default

Best Tools for Drywall Removal?


Probably another Internet rip-off site. I didn't pay any attention to the website, guess I should have.

I just figured since it was a tool being sold to a government agency (a Fire Department) it was just another seller ripping off the government. Sorta like the $200 hammers and the $600 toilet seats.
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:35 PM   #53
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 26,321
Default

Best Tools for Drywall Removal?


51 one replys for a job that could have been done in a few hours, with a few simple tools, gees.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #54
the Musigician
 
DangerMouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: I'm right here!
Posts: 10,404
Default

Best Tools for Drywall Removal?


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
51 one replys for a job that could have been done in a few hours, with a few simple tools, gees.
We ARE an EFFICIENT bunch, ain't we?

DM
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Click here to see some of my original magic tricks and trick boxes!
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #55
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,164
Default

Best Tools for Drywall Removal?


Question was asked in the first Post.
Question was answered in the second Post.
And yet............................................... ?
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:27 PM   #56
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 130
Default

Best Tools for Drywall Removal?


I just gutted a room today. A claw hammer and a small prybar were all I needed to remove the old drywall. As for the screws, a screwgun running in reverse was fast, simple and it didn't damage the wood.

I know everyone feels proud about what they know, but screws used in the ceilings are the same screws used in the walls. 1.25" for .5" drywall. 5/8" is not something that is typically used in a home unless it was a custom build or perhaps if it was a newer house subject to newer building codes.
dberladyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dberladyn For This Useful Post:
BigGuy01 (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 03:27 AM   #57
Facilities Maintenance
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Sedro-Woolley WA
Posts: 280
Default

Best Tools for Drywall Removal?


Quote:
Originally Posted by rjordan393 View Post
Firefighters use a tool called a ceiling hook. they are long enough so that you can work off the floor instead of a ladder. The tool has a spear like point and below that is the hook. By punching some holes with the spear and then using the hook, you can pull down large pieces of drywall.
This would be faster then using a hammer or other tool that requires a ladder. Try doing a search for firefighter hand tools or firefighter ceiling hook. See if the distributor will sell you one.
Another idea is to contact your local fire department and ask how you can aquire one.
Do you understand those are ment for high temperature situations? Those are 200+ bucks a piece, because they are ment for a fireman to be able to pull off the drywall panel to locate a fire burning inside the cieling. Not to mention there are so many different varients to them.

Completely impractical for a regular tradesmen, let alone for a home owner, especially considering the cost, and the fact it's a tool you'll probably only use once or twice in a lifetime depending on your work/trade/home life style. That's a big price tag for such a limited use item.

If you were making a living off it, sure, absolutely. But if you're not, I can't see that expense to be worth it.

Last edited by BigGuy01; 12-27-2011 at 03:33 AM.
BigGuy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:07 AM   #58
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: BC Canada
Posts: 500
Default

Best Tools for Drywall Removal?


No need for fancy hooks to destroy your ceiling with

Just use a hammer, put a few holes in it, you will see how easily the sheets will come down (hopefully they aren't glued, although i've never run into that) A screwdriver will work fine to remove the screws, a small tap with a hammer will also break the screw off quite easily, don't waste your time trying to cut it with a tool.

I second the advice for respiratory and eye protection, sometimes there is some pretty nasty stuff from mice and whatnot in the insulation that will come down. Also good to protect your floors. You may want to throw up some poly across doorways too, if the house is finished and occupied in other places.
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:14 AM   #59
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Pa.
Posts: 95
Default

Best Tools for Drywall Removal?


BigGuy01,
Like I mentioned, a ceiling hook can be purchased for $90.00.
As for the cost, the poster has to weigh in the total job, the difficulty and time to tear down a few ceilings. A ceiling hook is much lighter then a full size crowbar. If one uses a crowbar, then its most likely he would have to stand almost under it and the ceiling would come down on him or almost on him. I would not want to stand on a ladder to use a crowbar either. Ladders are not meant to allow you to shift your weight.
A ceiling hook allows you to stand away from falling debris and most of the dust.
It all comes down to each individual and the job, on what he thinks the tool is worth.
If the original poster has a volunteer fire company, then he can donate the tool and deduct it from his income tax.
He might even get luckey and borrow one from them for a small donation.
rjordan393 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rjordan393 For This Useful Post:
chrisBC (12-27-2011)
Old 12-27-2011, 12:44 PM   #60
Retired from the grind
 
gregzoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest - Central Illinois
Posts: 14,105
Default

Best Tools for Drywall Removal?


Quote:
Originally Posted by BigGuy01

Do you understand those are ment for high temperature situations? Those are 200+ bucks a piece, because they are ment for a fireman to be able to pull off the drywall panel to locate a fire burning inside the cieling. Not to mention there are so many different varients to them.

Completely impractical for a regular tradesmen, let alone for a home owner, especially considering the cost, and the fact it's a tool you'll probably only use once or twice in a lifetime depending on your work/trade/home life style. That's a big price tag for such a limited use item.

If you were making a living off it, sure, absolutely. But if you're not, I can't see that expense to be worth it.
Can you show everyone the C.F.R. that specifically states that, along with local and state regulations, that says that particalur tool can not be sold to DIYers in hardware stores?

__________________
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tools for a newlywed beginner mephysteaux General DIY Discussions 9 09-24-2010 10:43 PM
New project: removal of old fireplace-replace with a new fireplace! MrShadetree0222 Building & Construction 14 10-16-2008 06:12 PM
Lead paint removal Luken8r Painting 3 05-15-2008 07:05 PM
Bought tools today, good or bad deal? Mr. Michael Tools 3 02-13-2007 12:39 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.