Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #1
cmr

Rewards Points: 10

Best fix?

We purchased our house a few years ago. When we purchased it, the one bedroom had a bit of interesting mudding/taping around the window (I'm not looking directly at it right now and I can't remember if it's just below, or along the sides as well). I would like to paint this bedroom now, and it just makes sense to fix the wall first, then paint.

I've attempted to find a contractor to fix it for me, but I'm wondering if it's an easy enough fix to do myself. One contractor has mentioned a skim coat - would this be an effective fix? It looks "easy" enough... Would I have to do the whole wall, or would it be possible to just do the areas afflicted with whatever the previous owner did?
Attached Images

cmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,252

Best fix?

post a pic from a little further back.

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 04:51 PM   #3
cmr

Best fix?

I'll try my best later tonight. I may be sneaking around behind other half's back to get this fixed while he's out of town next week.... This room is his office and he's had a crap summer.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:23 PM   #4
cmr

Best fix?

Alright, here's a picture from further back, I hope it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Best fix?-p1000194.jpg  
Old 08-23-2012, 07:29 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 3,150

Best fix?

Sanding off the high places and several coats of drywall compound priming and painting will make it look ok, but I would suspect there's been a water leak in that area that caused it.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:28 AM   #6
cmr

Best fix?

Is there anyway to tell if there is a leak? We've received a bunch of rain lately, with no change at all to the appearance of this wall. It's hard, not mushy or even wet feeling. I have a contractor coming in tomorrow to have a look at fixing this and painting the room - so I guess I will wait and see what they say. But ideally if I could fix it myself for less $$....
Old 08-24-2012, 05:33 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Best fix?

yeah looks like you can skim over it with mud- thin layers are better than one thick layer as in you won't need to sand as much. Feather your mud out quite a bit from the area to blend it in, shine a light on it while sanding to see if there are any touchups, prime and paint.

And yeah, if there is some kind of leak or moisture issue best to tend to that first. It could have already been repaired however and that is the best patching they could do.

chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote