Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-24-2011, 12:56 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom wallboard

Hello!

I have a few questions concerning bathroom wallboards.

1. Not including a shower wallboard, what type of wallboard is recommended to use for the remainder of the bathroom walls and ceiling? I've read mixed opinions including regular drywall, greenboard, and some kind of mold and mildew resistant board. This is in a basement of a house in the northern US if that matters.

2. Odd problem. We're using a fiberglass pre-made shower basin (60" x 30") and tiling the walls. When in place there is just under a half inch gap between the basin and the wall. The room seems to measure 5' 1/2" wide. From what I have read it's recommended to place the wallboard over the lip of the basin, but that leaves a 1/2" gap between the wallboard and the wall. Is there a recommendation on how to solve this issue? We thought of installing a 1/2" piece of plywood to fill the gap however that will leave a protrusion where the shower ends and the bathroom begins. Another thought was to install the wallboard behind it, but then it doesn't come over the lip of the basin.

Any advice is appreciated... thanks!
hotbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:18 PM   #2

Bathroom wallboard

A picture would help...

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:40 PM   #3

Bathroom wallboard

I have always used regular sheetrock in bathrooms (not in the shower of course). As long as you use a good sealer, good paint, and caulk. Then use your fan for 10 to 15 minutes after using the shower to rid the room of moisture. If you feel that you are going to have more than normal moisture in the room, then I would think about using some of the other specialty drywall made for those applications.
redmanblackdog is offline   Reply With Quote