Bathroom Wall Repair - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-29-2012, 02:09 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 264

Bathroom Wall Repair

The drywall in my bathroom, installed by the previous owner, is in really bad shape, as these pics illustrate.
The radiator has rust all over it, and even our door hinges are rusted.

Figure I'll deal with the drywall first. What is step 1? Remove the tape that is exposed?

Advertisement

Last edited by joetab24; 04-29-2012 at 02:12 PM.
joetab24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 02:10 PM   #2

Bathroom Wall Repair

Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 09:19 PM   #3

Bathroom Wall Repair

No replies....
Old 05-05-2012, 04:11 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,052

Bathroom Wall Repair

Must have gotten lost in the shuffle....

Remove the tile, replace the corner bead and inside tape with setting compound and paper tape, final coat= drying-type compound. Fix the high-humidity issue before further work.

Gary
Old 05-05-2012, 10:02 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Bathroom Wall Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Must have gotten lost in the shuffle....

Fix the high-humidity issue before further work.

Gary
Yes! Looks to me like you may have a bathroom with no vent fan?

Also- to remove any drywall, typically easiest / cleanest to score with utility knife along any seams, corners, caulk lines, etc.., punch a hole, grab and pull...

Last edited by pucks101; 05-05-2012 at 10:05 PM.
pucks101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 01:37 PM   #6

Bathroom Wall Repair

Would you remove the radiator to gain better access to the wall?

Last edited by joetab24; 06-02-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:04 PM   #7

Bathroom Wall Repair

I'd say remove the covers and support brackets from the wall, looks like the water lines are coming up through the floor so maybe you can avoid messing with the plumbing..
Old 06-03-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Bathroom Wall Repair

I may be mistaken, BUT, it looks to me like the baseboard heater is RIGHT NEXT TO the shower (looks like the shower curtain/heater in one of those pics second from last). THAT would be MY biggest concern to begin with. Is that up to ANY kind of code (let alone your thoughts for your own safety)??? Water and electricity DO NOT mix. I'd remove that heater asap!!! Get a vent/fan with a heat unit in it perhaps. You DON'T want to step on a wet floor with a rusted/shorted out electric heat source. Even if it's not actually butting up to the shower, I wouldn't want a source of electricity sitting on a bathroom floor. Commodes overflow, sinks and showers back up, etc. If I'm misinterpreting the pic, I apologize but think of safety first. Hopefully when you say "radiator" you're speaking of water "type", but it looks like electric...
PaliBob (06-11-2012)
Old 06-03-2012, 11:29 PM   #9

Bathroom Wall Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjbatlanta View Post
I may be mistaken, BUT, it looks to me like the baseboard heater is RIGHT NEXT TO the shower (looks like the shower curtain/heater in one of those pics second from last). THAT would be MY biggest concern to begin with. Is that up to ANY kind of code (let alone your thoughts for your own safety)??? Water and electricity DO NOT mix. I'd remove that heater asap!!! Get a vent/fan with a heat unit in it perhaps. You DON'T want to step on a wet floor with a rusted/shorted out electric heat source. Even if it's not actually butting up to the shower, I wouldn't want a source of electricity sitting on a bathroom floor. Commodes overflow, sinks and showers back up, etc. If I'm misinterpreting the pic, I apologize but think of safety first. Hopefully when you say "radiator" you're speaking of water "type", but it looks like electric...
I see a hole in the floor, which I assume is for the water lines coming up from a boiler somewhere, so being next to the tub would not be a problem...
Old 06-04-2012, 12:43 AM   #10
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Bathroom Wall Repair

Yeah, just not used to seeing that type of system (boiler) here so it scared the "you know what" out of me if it is electric heat...
Old 06-04-2012, 05:09 PM   #11

Bathroom Wall Repair

Started working on this section of the wall...

Went all the way up to where the tape was visible. Is there any way for me to tell if the correct (that is, drywall that is used in a bathroom) dry wall was used by the person who originally installed this?

When I tore the metal piece that runs along the corner, I tore the drywall a bit higher than I would have liked.

By the way, this radiator is not electric. I hate the location, though.

Last edited by joetab24; 06-04-2012 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:32 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 256

Bathroom Wall Repair

Hi joetab,

It looks like there is a leak from the tub/shower. If so, you need to address that prior to putting the drywall back. Otherwise, you will be re-doing the drywall again in short order.
7echo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 09:49 PM   #13

Bathroom Wall Repair

I would suggest since you're going this far, and possibly further to repair a leak, instead of regular drywall use something water resistant, such as green-board.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #14

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom Wall Repair

As you can see, there is some water damage to those 2x4s. Is it feasible to put in a new tub and do a little demo to see what's going on in the walls? There could be extensive water damage around the tub if there was a leak.
colinp123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 03:24 AM   #15

Bathroom Wall Repair

If that lumber has only surface mold, and isn't rotted, you can clean that up with some Concrobium (available online or at the depot).

Advertisement