Bathroom Exhaust Fan Location In Drywall - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2011, 06:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Bathroom Exhaust Fan Location in Drywall

Hi All,

I have drywalled a bit before, but now I am drywalling my own main bathroom ceiling solo, and require a tip.

What is the easiest to install, but best result for the location of my bathroom exhaust fan in the ceiling drywall. I have two options (Please see the attached jpeg for reference):

1) The fan located between a joint (so both sheets notched out). I feel it would be the easiest as I could install the fan and then place the drywall up and run my drywall saw along the two sides of the fan box.

2) The fan located near the edge of the middle drywall piece. This requires precise locational cut for the fan box. I also must be careful cutting close to the edge as it could break easily.

If anyone recommends 2) over 1), what is the minimum edge distance I can cut without issues?

Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

p.s. Prior to drywalling, should I tape the vapor barrier flaps into the fan box to seal?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom Exhaust Fan Location in Drywall-fan-location.jpg  

Advertisement

trophywalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 08:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophywalleye View Post
Hi All,

I have drywalled a bit before, but now I am drywalling my own main bathroom ceiling solo, and require a tip.

What is the easiest to install, but best result for the location of my bathroom exhaust fan in the ceiling drywall. I have two options (Please see the attached jpeg for reference):

1) The fan located between a joint (so both sheets notched out). I feel it would be the easiest as I could install the fan and then place the drywall up and run my drywall saw along the two sides of the fan box.

2) The fan located near the edge of the middle drywall piece. This requires precise locational cut for the fan box. I also must be careful cutting close to the edge as it could break easily.

If anyone recommends 2) over 1), what is the minimum edge distance I can cut without issues?

Any help and suggestions are appreciated.

p.s. Prior to drywalling, should I tape the vapor barrier flaps into the fan box to seal?

Thanks!
Cutting the sheetrock is a simple matter using a sheetrock saw. Beam location is more important. It is easiest to locate the fan with one side next to a beam for solid fastening. I would sheetrock first, spackle and paint the ceiling. Prior to this I would decide on my location, measure it
out on paper, route the electric and put in the vent and hose and have everything set to go. Now cut out the size hole necessary , attach electric and hose, and secure fan to beam. Attach cover grate and you're done.

Advertisement

dadflynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 07:59 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

I'd gowith option 1. but like above, depends on where the joist are..
williamwiens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #4

My ceiling joists run perpendicular to how I drew my drywall. My fan and ducting is already installed, however I am willing to modify it. One side of the fan is fastened to a ceiling joist via a bracket.

So if I drywall after the fact, I should go with option 1? I'm pretty set on drywalling after, unless its definitely not recommended.

williamwiens,

Have you seen option 1 done before?

More opinions appreciated.

Thanks
trophywalleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 09:27 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophywalleye View Post
My ceiling joists run perpendicular to how I drew my drywall. My fan and ducting is already installed, however I am willing to modify it. One side of the fan is fastened to a ceiling joist via a bracket.

So if I drywall after the fact, I should go with option 1? I'm pretty set on drywalling after, unless its definitely not recommended.

williamwiens,

Have you seen option 1 done before?

More opinions appreciated.

Thanks
Yes, option 1 will probably be easier for you to cut out the rock. Spackle thinly or your fan face isn't going to sit flat to the ceiling. Measure carefully and good luck.
dadflynn is offline   Reply With Quote