Bathroom Drywall - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2011, 06:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom drywall

I was removing the caulking by my bathtub, and the wall right beside it started to crumble when I was cutting away the old caulk. It had bubbled in the past, so I knew it was a matter of time. I started picking at all the moist areas, until it got big enough that I just cut out a piece.

Is this going to be a standard dry wall repair, ie. replace with piece of dry wall, tape up, and cover with compound? Or is there more to it, due to it being right at the bathtub?

Here is the original damage:

And this is the existing type of wall, no idea if this is standard dry wall or something else, since its not white:

As it sits now:

Thanks,
Luke

Advertisement

LukeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Solutions (handyman)

Rewards Points: 260

Bathroom drywall

Luke, Normal drywall is no longer used in bathrooms. Talk with someone at a home improvement store (home depot or similar) about the water resistent drywall. If you are goint to patch the area, cut back to the center of the next stub and put in a good soloi piece. If you need to add some extra backing (2x4) you could do this while the wall is open. After you repair the drywall, you might consider additional tiles (as you picture suggests you have), and cover any area that might get wet. Also, make sure all seams are caulked and the tiles have grout and are sealed as well.
Mark

Advertisement

Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #3

Bathroom drywall

Thanks Mark, Ill definitely stop by home depot and find something bathroom specific/water resistant.
Are you suggesting to make the hole wider? Only problem I see with that is the toilet is about 1' away (right where the picture ends), so that might make things difficult for a newbie like me.
Tiles in that area are a great idea, Im hoping to have the whole bathroom renovated sometime next year, so that will definitely be covered.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #4
Solutions (handyman)

Bathroom drywall

Luke, If you can, do the larger area. It just provides a better finish. You could remove the toilet (not too difficult) and that would provide enough room to repair and tile to your hearts content.
Old 11-13-2011, 07:38 AM   #5

Bathroom drywall

Thanks Mark, really appreciate your help.
Old 11-13-2011, 12:36 PM   #6
Solutions (handyman)

Bathroom drywall

My pleaure. Hope all is well.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:18 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,614

Bathroom drywall

SIDE BAR:
There's one of those pesky metal studs being talked about in another thread here. A metal stud that only lasts five years when exposed to moisture. I'm wondering how long that stud in the picture has been in that wall?

By the way...That is moisture resistant drywall and you see what happens. This is why MR drywall has been outlawed in shower surrounds.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 04:03 PM   #8

Bathroom drywall

As far as I know, everything is original, and the building went up in the late 80s.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to LukeD For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (11-13-2011)