Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #1

Share |

Bathroom ceiling help

My bathroom ceiling looks like it has been mudded in places several times and it's starting to crumble. Can I screw new drywall over the existing drywall ceiling or do I have to rip it all out? I dread ripping it all out because all of the insulation from the attic will drop into the bathroom. Any pointers would greatly help me! Thanks in advance!

fizzgig314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #2

Bathroom ceiling help

hi tere, just make sure you locate center of joist for fixing new boarding. Also make sure you drop down the light and switch, but be careful. Make sure you use long enough screws to go through both pieces of plaster board and into the joist. Then re plastered.

tosh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tosh1 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-17-2012)
Old 06-01-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
Drywall contractor

Bathroom ceiling help

You have solved the issues as to WHY there was so much "mud work"?? You can add another layer. If there's been a moisture issue, and the drywall has sagged, there's another issue if it's blown-in insulation. Once the drywall sags the loose insulation get's between the joist and the drywall. you can't get the drywall to pull up to the framing. IF that's the case, tear it out....

Tags
bathroom, ceiling, drywall