Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2014, 08:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Bathroom ceiling drywall

Hi,
I'm about to drywall the ceiling in my bathrooms of the house I'm building for myself. I've got mixed messages regarding what type of drywall should be used. Some say that it's OK with regular 5/8, and other say you must use greenboard. I can't find any 5/8 greenboard and from what I heard the 1/2 tends to sag more than regular drywall. Is there any truth to that greenboard isn't really offering any extra protection and can cause more harm than good?

Any input welcome.
Thanks

tornstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 34

Bathroom ceiling drywall

Just put up 5/8 regular drywall.
I've never once had a call back using it.

Old 01-27-2014, 10:42 PM   #3

Bathroom ceiling drywall

Yeah, I'll probably go that route since I already got the material for it. And if for some reason i'll need greenboard i can always glue & screw a 1/4 greenboard on the 5/8 and get the extra support it would need.
tornstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 10:47 PM   #4

Bathroom ceiling drywall

I've never even seen 1/4 green board and it would just sag and the fasteners would just pop anyway if you tried to hang it on a ceiling.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:08 PM   #5
Tileguy

Bathroom ceiling drywall

Greenboard is literally useless. No need for it especially on a ceiling. When installing GB on ceilings the framing should be 12" oc. Guess how many houses are built with ceiling joists 12" oc? That's right.....none!

Of 100 drywall installers, how many know of the 12" oc requirement for GB? Right again, very few.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
Gary in WA (01-30-2014), gma2rjc (01-30-2014)
Old 01-30-2014, 10:23 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom ceiling drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Greenboard is literally useless. No need for it especially on a ceiling. When installing GB on ceilings the framing should be 12" oc. Guess how many houses are built with ceiling joists 12" oc? That's right.....none!

Of 100 drywall installers, how many know of the 12" oc requirement for GB? Right again, very few.

Jaz
Where did you find this info I just checked 3 different sites and cannot find it. The only thing I can find is nail spacing should be 12".
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #7
Tileguy

Bathroom ceiling drywall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker
Where did you find this info I just checked 3 different sites and cannot find it. The only thing I can find is nail spacing should be 12".
I found the following info on a Gypsum Association site. The same info should be be found on every manufacturer's data sheet too.

Water-resistant gypsum board has a water resistant gypsum core and a water repellent paper. It serves as a base for ceramic or plastic wall tile or plastic finish panels in non-wet areas. This product is available with a regular or Type X core and in -inch and 5/8 -inch thicknesses.

Note: Do not use water-resistant gypsum board on ceilings or soffits unless extra framing is installed; do not exceed 12 inches o.c. between framing members. Do not use water-resistant gypsum board as a tile-backing substrate material where the final surface is directly exposed to running water; select one of several specialty products, including glass-mat-faced gypsum board or cement-based board, as a tile-backing substrate for areas directly exposed to running water.

Do a test yourself next time you have some scrap of both types handy. Cut some pieces and place them on two supports space 24" +-. Leave them for awhile (days) or help the process by placing some wight at mid point. The green/blue/purple board will sag. Regular drywall not so much.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:42 AM   #8

Bathroom ceiling drywall

Speaks for it's self.
http://www.usg.com/content/dam/USG/U...-en-WB2660.pdf
Old 01-30-2014, 12:04 PM   #9
Tileguy

Bathroom ceiling drywall

Joe,

The board in your link is a special UltraLight panel and can span up to 24" per directions.

That's the key of course, follow directions for the product being installed.

Jaz

Old 01-30-2014, 04:22 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom ceiling drywall

This is all I could find Water-resistant gypsum backing board shall be permitted to be used on ceilings where ceiling framing is spaced not more than 12 in. o.c. (305 mm) for in. (12.7 mm) thick water-resistant gypsum backing board and not more than 16 in. o.c. (406 mm) for 5/8 in. (15.9 mm) thick water-resistant gypsum backing board.
But really any drywall 24" on center with weight on it will sag. But it is my understanding they have quit making the green board. The benefits were so minimal it wasn't worth it.
Here in Fla. every shower I have rebuilt was green board with the tile on it.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:37 PM   #11

Bathroom ceiling drywall

On this site, probably 10-12 times for this link; http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/ic...9_7_par016.htm lol.

Gary
Old 01-30-2014, 08:07 PM   #12
Professional

Bathroom ceiling drywall

Is it an attic above it or another floor? If so, what is the spacing?

I agree that you do not need green board on the ceiling. Use a good quality primer and paint to seal it up. Install a top quality bathroom fan and you shouldn't have any issues.

You could use 1/2" ceiling board if you a are concerned about sag. 5/8" is fine too but is usually pretty heavy.

TotalHomeworx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling drywall, greanboard