DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Bathroom ceiling drywall

3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  TotalHomeworx 
#1 ·
Hi,
I'm about to drywall the ceiling in my bathrooms of the house I'm building for myself. I've got mixed messages regarding what type of drywall should be used. Some say that it's OK with regular 5/8, and other say you must use greenboard. I can't find any 5/8 greenboard and from what I heard the 1/2 tends to sag more than regular drywall. Is there any truth to that greenboard isn't really offering any extra protection and can cause more harm than good?

Any input welcome.
Thanks

#5 ·
Greenboard is literally useless. No need for it especially on a ceiling. When installing GB on ceilings the framing should be 12" oc. Guess how many houses are built with ceiling joists 12" oc? That's right.....none!

Of 100 drywall installers, how many know of the 12" oc requirement for GB? Right again, very few.:thumbsup:

Jaz

#7 ·
ToolSeeker said:
Where did you find this info I just checked 3 different sites and cannot find it. The only thing I can find is nail spacing should be 12".
I found the following info on a Gypsum Association site. The same info should be be found on every manufacturer's data sheet too.

• Water-resistant gypsum board has a water resistant gypsum core and a water repellent paper. It serves as a base for ceramic or plastic wall tile or plastic finish panels in non-wet areas. This product is available with a regular or Type X core and in ½ -inch and 5/8 -inch thicknesses.

Note: Do not use water-resistant gypsum board on ceilings or soffits unless extra framing is installed; do not exceed 12 inches o.c. between framing members. Do not use water-resistant gypsum board as a tile-backing substrate material where the final surface is directly exposed to running water; select one of several specialty products, including glass-mat-faced gypsum board or cement-based board, as a tile-backing substrate for areas directly exposed to running water.

Do a test yourself next time you have some scrap of both types handy. Cut some pieces and place them on two supports space 24" +-. Leave them for awhile (days) or help the process by placing some wight at mid point. The green/blue/purple board will sag. Regular drywall not so much.

Jaz

#9 ·
Joe,

The board in your link is a special UltraLight panel and can span up to 24" per directions.

That's the key of course, follow directions for the product being installed.

Jaz

#10 ·
This is all I could find Water-resistant gypsum backing board shall be permitted to be used on ceilings where ceiling framing is spaced not more than 12 in. o.c. (305 mm) for ½ in. (12.7 mm) thick water-resistant gypsum backing board and not more than 16 in. o.c. (406 mm) for 5/8 in. (15.9 mm) thick water-resistant gypsum backing board.
But really any drywall 24" on center with weight on it will sag. But it is my understanding they have quit making the green board. The benefits were so minimal it wasn't worth it.
Here in Fla. every shower I have rebuilt was green board with the tile on it.

#11 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.