Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-31-2009, 10:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Bathroom ceiling

My bathroom is 5 feet by 10 feet in dimension. I'm going to get that ceiling drywalled soon (and install the new ventilation fan just before I do that, while it's all open). What drywall should I use on the ceiling? Just 5/8" standard drywall, right?

Also, what configuration of the drywall should I use? Like, where should my joints be to minimize joints, but not maximize waste too much (though, I guess drywall material is pretty cheap...).

Thanks for all the help you guys have given me on this project. When the ceiling is done, I can just throw some more insulation right on top of the drywall in the attic, right? Do I have to rent one of those machines, or can I just open the bags and spread the junk out over that little area up there?

StevePax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:23 AM   #2

Bathroom ceiling

I'm thinking run 5/8" drywall along the 5-foot direction. Then each sheet will have to cut off 3 feet of it, and the last sheet will only be 2 feet wide, but that way there will be absolutely no butt joints in the ceiling. Also, I'll start over the shower, so that smaller piece on the end will be on the far side of the bathroom from the shower, so there will be no joints at all over the shower itself. Then, with the shower taking up 34" or so of the long wall space, doing the walls by laying the sheets horizontally will mean absolutely no butt joints on any of the walls, too. This is sounding good to me, what do you guys think?

Old 12-31-2009, 11:09 AM   #3

Bathroom ceiling

I just finished rocking my basement, I used 5/8 for sound reasons. You should run your drywall 90 degrees to your joists, meaning if you look at your ceiling vertically like it were a wall, you would want to put your rock on edge, length would be 90 degrees to the joists. I made this mistake in the kitchenette area thinking I would save the taper some work on butt joints but found out I should have turned them 90 degrees and not worried about butts.
diykc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:24 AM   #4

Bathroom ceiling

So, let's suppose that the joists run the short way, then (I'm not sure which way they run yet - I have to complete demo of the dropped soffit first). Then a sheet of drywall would go the long way, and leave 1 foot on the side, and 2 feet at the end not covered. That's a small piece of drywall for a ceiling, isn't it? Should I cut the drywall so that it's all done with more of the same size pieces, or just do the little pieces and that's that?
Old 01-03-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Bathroom ceiling

As long as your joists are 16" o.c., you can use 1/2" rock. As stated above, hang the rock with the length across the joists. The Lowes near me and a couple of HD's in the area carry 10' rock. That's your best bet to eliminate butt joints and reduce waste either way you end up running the board. If you can't find 10's in your area, I'd opt for 12' just to eliminate the butt joints.....