Bathroom - 1/2" Purple Board - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-10-2012, 12:00 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Bathroom - 1/2" Purple Board

I sheetrocked my master bathroom myself and used purple board for the walls and ceiling except for above the shower. I used Durarock above the shower which will get tile. I'm in the process of getting prices from drywallers and all of them are saying that you can't use purple board on the ceiling, but none of them can't tell me where in the code it says that. Does anybody know if they are correct or not? This is in N. Calif.

Advertisement

Woodbutcher123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,460

It is meant for wet spaces, so it does not matter in my opinion. In their opinion, it may be that they are not used to dealing with the Purple board, which is no different than the Green board. Just a different color. I would make a quick call to your AHJ, and while you are talking, just happen to drop the companies names into the conversation, so they know they are the ones telling you this info.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 588

It's just mold and moisture resistant drywall and should not be a problum.
Only thing I can think of is in some areas local code is calling for paperless drywall in bathrooms.

There should be a brand name on the backside of the boards look up there website and see what they say about it's useage.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
Drywall and Painting Pro

Rewards Points: 330

From National gypsums website:
http://www.nationalgypsum.com/produc...ProductID=2413

Quote:
Basic Uses
XP Gypsum Board may be installed in all wall and ceiling applications and is ideally suited where enhanced moisture and mold resistance is desired.

Gold Bond XP Gypsum Board

Checkout some of my How to videos->How to Secrets from a Drywall Finisher
Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sir MixAlot For This Useful Post:
logluvr (06-09-2013)
Old 05-10-2012, 08:18 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

i used purple in a shower ceiling this past weekend. i don't see why that wouldn't be good.

*edit*
is their issue the 1/2 thickness on the ceiling instead of 5/8?
sevenlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:59 PM   #6
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,460

That is my guess sevenlol.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:51 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,020

Perhaps they are getting it confused (or don't know) with the older "greenboard" which this board replaced. Per code, the greenboard needed 12"o.c. ceiling framing, the purple board requires 24"o.c. for 1/2": http://publicecodes.citation.com/ico...002_par013.htm

http://www.nationalgypsum.com/produc...e%5C111081.pdf

Gary

Advertisement