Basement Partition Walls - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-14-2016, 04:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 8

basement partition walls

I am re-finishing the basement a previous HO started, and am removing the wood paneling and installing moisture resistant drywall instead. I have some partition walls separating the living space from the basement space and was wondering if I should use moisture resistant drywall on that too or if i am ok just using normal rock? Basement is mostly water-tight but there is a little moisture here and there (working on remediating that too). I just don't want to regret anything down the road, but don't want to spend money unnecessarily if I can avoid it (which is why I'm doing the work myself).

Also, would you insulate the wall too? Foam board cut into the spaces or bats?

Thanks.

Advertisement

aadepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:42 PM   #2
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 192

Re: basement partition walls

Why are you putting moisture resistant drywall in?

If there is moisture in the walls and getting in via the conditioned air or from the basement wall, the drywall choice isn't the solution.

I would suggest you browse around the insulation sub section and start reading up on basement insulation strategies.

How is the wall insulated now and where is the home?

http://buildingscience.com/documents...ts?full_view=1

Advertisement

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windows on Wash View Post
Why are you putting moisture resistant drywall in?

If there is moisture in the walls and getting in via the conditioned air or from the basement wall, the drywall choice isn't the solution.

I would suggest you browse around the insulation sub section and start reading up on basement insulation strategies.

How is the wall insulated now and where is the home?

http://buildingscience.com/documents...ts?full_view=1
it's a 100 year old house in Missouri. Using moisture/mold resistant drywall as a precaution. None of the paneling i removed had any indication of mold, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. As installed by the previous HO, they put R11 fiberglass insulation on the exterior walls. I've removed that and am in the process of installing foam board instead.
Old 03-23-2016, 01:31 PM   #4

So going back to it, is there any suggestion on whether a partition wall should have moisture/mold resistant rock or just regular? thanks
Old 03-23-2016, 01:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 144

Just use regular drywall and hold it 1/2" off the slab.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 09:52 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 242

I'd use the mold resistant stuff. I just gutted my basement. It was remodeled about 10 years ago. The prior owner built interior and exterior walls. I found mold behind almost all of the drywall. It was not good. Granted, there was no vapor barrier or insulation anywhere, so I can't just blame the drywall.

I'm redoing it properly, and I'm using the mold resistant drywall everywhere as a precaution. No matter how well you insulate, you're going to get some moisture in a basement. Why take a chance for a few $ more per sheet.

Advertisement

Last edited by b-boy; 03-24-2016 at 09:57 AM.
b-boy is offline   Reply With Quote