Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-11-2014, 10:58 AM   #1

Share |

Basement drywall finished! --pics

Hi all- I posted on the forum about a year ago, with sheetrocking "issues" in my DIY basement improvement project. Some of my drywall was not flush top to bottom and there were some cracks that I had to fill with alot of mud. Thanks for your suggestions back then. And thankfully my father in law came to visit and help me through the project a few times since then! The three rooms we're finishing are now mudded, sanded, painted, suspended ceiling and canlights installed, and laminate flooring installed, and county CO approved! Thought I'd attach a Before pick of my amateur drywall hanging, and an After image of the same room as it is now. no, I don't live down under .. I couldn't get the After photo to post right side up Thanks. Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Basement drywall finished! --pics-crack-non-flush.jpg  
Attached Images

mike dub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:15 AM   #2
Drywall and Painting Pro

Turned out nice.

How did you handle that large gap at the bottom of the first photo?

Sir MixAlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 11:26 AM   #3

Thanks Sir MixAlot. I self-mixed a powder gypsum with water, that was supposed to be heavier ? or dry faster? than the premixed mud that I'd bought in the 5 gallon buckets. The gypsum was in a 20 lb. sack - from Lowes. I slathered the self mix stuff into the bigger cracks. And I cut out that plastic insultation backing that shows in the crack -- so the mud would at least be sticking to a solid / wood/ as opposed to the thin plastic. It seems to have held ... err at least So Far! My father in law helped me alot with the mud and the sanding phase too and also our DIY install of the suspended ceiling. That was a baffling thing to me; reckoning Center for each room and hanging the main runners. My FIL has an amazing mind for reckoning that kind of stuff. I'd still be working on the ceiling if not for his helping me. Mike

Last edited by mike dub; 01-11-2014 at 11:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mike dub For This Useful Post:
Sir MixAlot (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 03:32 PM   #4

Well there's your problem. The rooms upside down.
gregzoll (01-11-2014), Gymschu (01-11-2014)
Old 01-11-2014, 04:09 PM   #5
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

right side up

My project: http://www.diychatroom.com/f49/bunga...-build-169318/
123pugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:08 PM   #6

Ceiling should have been finished first, drywall installed horizontal whenever possible.
Drywall should have been cut so it was 1/2 up off the floor.
First piece needed to be 100% plumb or it throws off all the others.
A whole lot more work to make it look right once it's been hung wrong.
Old 01-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #7

I really love the floor!
Gymschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #8
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
, drywall installed horizontal whenever possible.
Something about drywall edges with nothing behind them for 14-1/2" rubs me the wrong way.

What's the reason for this and do you put something behind those edges I speak of?

Old 01-12-2014, 08:54 AM   #9

Thanks all, for your replies. 123pugsy, thanks for making the pic right-side-up! The crack between the edges are about 1/4" at the widest (in the first photo). I slathered quicker-dry mud into that crack after cutting out the plastic insulation backing seen in the crack in that photo). I don't understand the 14-1/2 you mentioned. joecaption, the ceiling here is an Armstrong suspended ceiling, so I did install the wall sheetrock first, and then installed the ceiling wall molding for the ceiling into the wall studs over top of the painted drywall. The rock is 1/2" off the floor. I ripped a 4 foot long by 1/2" thick piece of wood from a 2x4, sat it on the floor where I was going to hang each piece, and then sat the bottom edge of the rock on it. This made each piece pretty flush right out of the box. But the one pictured, I later figured out, wasn't flush because the existing wood paneling wall (on the left side of the photo) was Not flush, up and down. It stuck out (unflush) about a 1/4" at the top of the room. It might have bowed?, or a nail backed out years ago. Everything's holding up ok. Gymschu, thanks on the flooring. The floor place had never installed this color of laminate before (whitewash oak) and they really commented on how good it looks. I'm now in the market for a loveseat recliner for my man-cave/stereo room! (the room pictured here) Thanks. Mike

Last edited by mike dub; 01-12-2014 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 09:04 AM   #10
MEASURE ONCE, CUT TWICE

Joe mentioned horizontal drywall. If hung this way, there is 14-1/2" between studs where there is nothing behind the seams at all.

Better leave it at that, as I'm sure this has been debated many times.

Old 01-12-2014, 09:12 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Ceiling should have been finished first,
Interesting, I have never installed a dropped ceiling first.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Joe mentioned horizontal drywall. If hung this way, there is 14-1/2" between studs where there is nothing behind the seams at all.

Better leave it at that, as I'm sure this has been debated many times.

I get it: hanging horizontal, vs. hanging vertical. I didn't hang horizontal--I went with vertical after some debate -- reading comments from many on this site saying hanging vertical can work well, before actually doing it. Worked out good for this (newbie) project. Now have almost double the conditioned/heated square feet to enjoy and have as added Value. Can't wait to set up my old stereo system (which has been collecting dust in a non-finished storage room of the same basement) in the new basement! Thanks all for your thoughts. Mike
Old 02-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #13

that flooring is laminate???! wow! it's gorgeous. do you have a link to it?
hsnopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 04:14 AM   #14
paper hanger and painter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike dub View Post
I get it: hanging horizontal, vs. hanging vertical. I didn't hang horizontal--I went with vertical after some debate -- reading comments from many on this site saying hanging vertical can work well, before actually doing it. Worked out good for this (newbie) project. Now have almost double the conditioned/heated square feet to enjoy and have as added Value. Can't wait to set up my old stereo system (which has been collecting dust in a non-finished storage room of the same basement) in the new basement! Thanks all for your thoughts. Mike

Joec is certainly not the last word in home construction, don't worry about it
chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chrisn For This Useful Post:
danpik (02-02-2014), mike dub (02-02-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 07:21 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsnopi View Post
that flooring is laminate???! wow! it's gorgeous. do you have a link to it?
It is laminate. The brand name is Quick Step. http://us.quick-step.com
Although their site has different countries /languages available, our laminate was made in the USA. The color we got is called something like Whitewash Oak. My better half picked it out, and I think she done good ;0).

This weekend I'm working on trimming out those basement windows with molding. Mike