Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-08-2013, 10:38 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Basement Drywall Deteriorating Help

I remodeled a basement about a year ago. I used insulation R-19 and I think 1/2 inch drywall. This year there has been a lot of rain (no flooding in basement). I have two spots on the drywall where it looks like humidity got into the sheet rock and turned it soft and breaks easy with the touch. I did not see signs of water or leaking so I'm assuming is the humidity in the area. One spot is near the door entrance, the other is in a closet near a window. The closet area has black mold starting to grow on it. I talked with a guy that had the same problem and he said to use the cement board instead of drywall and I won't have the problem. Thoughts and suggestions? Would a dehumidifier work or more ventilation?

dzobrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:44 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Sounds like the window and door are leaking.
Got some pictures of the outside where the window and door are?
No close ups needed.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 11:29 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 258

I agree, if you're seeing this type of damage in only one year there's a leak somewhere. Possibly in more than one location.
spaceman spif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #4
Architectural Sculptor

Rewards Points: 500

There was a huge scandal about drywall sheets made in China outgassing some unknown substance that was corroding copper pipes and stuff, don't know if it could be related to that- getting old stock that was in a warehouse affected by that, but the effect of the chemical was pretty dramatic as I remember.
RWolff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #5

This is the wall in the closet. The other wall near the entrance door had the same symptoms, but when I removed the drywall there were no pipes leaking on the wall, also the door is not an exterior door so no water from the outside could get on it. Ironically the room next to the exterior door is a laundry room and the drywall is intact. Right now my theory is that the basement area is air conditioned and the laundry room is not. So the condensation in the air is condensing on the wall, much like a glass of water on a hot summer day. I'm going to remove the drywall in the closet this weekend. There might be pipes leaking behind it but the ceiling is not damaged. Any suggestions, diagnostics or tips are appreciated. Thanks.
Attached Images

Old 07-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #6

I attached a photo and some feedback on the comment. The entrance door drywall i removed and no leaking pipes and not exposed to exterior so don't think its coming from leaking water. The closet might be a different story. What do you think about using cement board instead of traditional drywall?
Old 07-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #7

I attached a photo and some feedback on the comment. The entrance door drywall i removed and no leaking pipes and not exposed to exterior so don't think its coming from leaking water. The closet might be a different story. What do you think about using cement board instead of traditional drywall?
Old 07-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,514

If that damage was caused by condensation it would be everywhere. So would the mold, water is getting in some where. How do you plan to finish cement board?
ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 258

I had a basement wall look like that once and found it was caused by the upstairs toilet flooding over. Do you have a bathroom or kitchen above that wall? It may be coming from upstairs.
spaceman spif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
Mold!! Let's kill it!

Rewards Points: 2,012

You obviously have a moisture problem. Changing to cement board will not solve the moisture issue. The cement board won't deteriorate like regular drywall, but the mold will then form on the organics in the finish. You need to identify and cure the moisture issues first. Then patch in the drywall with mold/moisture resistant drywall (Densarmor or MMR board).
Maintenance 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maintenance 6 For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (07-12-2013)
Old 07-22-2013, 12:04 PM   #11

For anyone wondering what happened. I took off the drywall and found a leaking pipe. Repaired the leak and put up new drywall. Everything is going fine so far.

The Following User Says Thank You to dzobrist For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-22-2013)

Tags
basement, drywall, humidity, mold