Basement Ceiling Drywall Thickness - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Basement Ceiling Drywall Thickness

Hey everyone, first time poster here. In the past I have heard that I am supposed to use 5/8 inch sheetrock for the ceiling in the basement that I am finishing due to code. Is this correct or can I get by with 1/2 inch?

Advertisement

BarneyStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 05:36 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

many places will allow using 1/2 inch, but 5/8 would be better for sound-proofing and fire protection.
price them and see if 5/8 is too much for the budget.

*edit*

How to fireblock framing

Advertisement

jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,306

Check your local code--Many towns and counties have the building codes on the internet--

Call or google the info.--Always best to follow the local code.--MIKE--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Very good advice above...always check for code requirements and if permits are required.
5/8" rock is good practice if joists are on 24" centers (avoid sag). / common floor for 1st story and basement ceiling is assume might be on 16" CENTERS. This should work fine for 1/2" rock. Insulating might be a plus if you have zoned air and like it warm and cozy on the main floor. (insul $) Yep, a long pay back ,but warm and cozy is right away.

Have fun
Big Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 11:55 AM   #5
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

And the insul. will help deaden noise somewhat, whether it's the "clack" of footsteps on the hardwood/tile upstairs or the noise of the kids playing downstairs. Worth the investment in my opinion....
Old 02-04-2010, 01:35 PM   #6

last i checked....there is NO code requirement to even put a finished ceiling in the basement(check your local). the only requirement i have ever seen is if you have a garage in the basement of the house. in that case the entire garage, walls and ceiling must be of 5/8" fire code (sometimes called type "X") drywall. this produces the required 1 hour assembly required by code. the door to the house will have to be a 1 hour labled door as well. another technical thing is.... to be code compliant, it (the drywall) must be "fire code" drywall and it must be printed,by manufacturer, on the drywall to comply. regular 5/8" drywall is NOT code compliant and will probably have to be ripped out and preplaced with the proper stuff if the building inspector wants.

whatever you get, rent one of those drywall lifts....trust me it'll be the best investment to your sanity that you can make when it comes to hanging drywall on a ceiling! good luck
minidriver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:17 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

something else to consider is the joist spacing. 24" needs 5/8 drywall to avoid saging.
bkeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 02:54 PM   #8
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

As Big Bob stated above.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:08 PM   #9

Thanks guys for the advice. I checked with my wifes relatives that just had their basement finished in the same town and they said 5/8 inch needs to be used for fire code.
BarneyStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:12 PM   #10
PHB Construction LLC

Do yourself a favor and rent a lift for the 5/8's. It makes all the difference in the world and I would NEVER do a 5/8's ceiling without one.
Paulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
Do yourself a favor and rent a lift for the 5/8's. It makes all the difference in the world and I would NEVER do a 5/8's ceiling without one.
Yes or buy one off of ebay. Thats what I did. Those 12' 5/8 are heavy.

Advertisement

bkeech is offline   Reply With Quote