Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2013, 06:52 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Baseboard anchors in plaster-over-brick walls

I am restoring some plaster walls in my very old house. Most of the areas that need restoration are around the bottom of the walls since I ripped out old ugly baseboards and that also crumbled the old plaster. Since the walls are plaster-over-brick, there are 2x8 wood inserts into the brick that were used as anchors to nail the baseboard to.

Now, what confuses me is this: The inserts are flush with the brick -- how plaster should be bordered around those inserts so as to not smear it over the insert but be butted all the way (or close) to it in its regular thickness? What I did was make small 2x8x3/8 plywood cover shims and screw the (1, 2 or 3, depending on the offset as it varies since the wall is old) into the insert to be flush or close to flush with the projected finished plaster (approx. 3/4"). In fact, since I am now ready for the final coat of plaster, I think I may add another shim on every insert so that it goes above the surface of plaster and then, when the plaster dries, take the top one off.

I hope you understand what I am saying. I did not want to plaster over the inserts because the baseboard nails wouldn't make it through the plaster. Ideally, the inserts would be coming out of the brick for the thickness of the plaster and not be flush to make this easy but they don't.

My questions are:

1. Am I overengineering this?
2. Is there a better way to do it?
3. Do baseboards even need to be nailed? Can I just liquid nail them to the plaster without using actual nails? I was thinking to do both -- nail into the inserts and do liquid nails between inserts.

See the pics. One shows bare brick wall with the original inserts, the other shows shims on top of inserts with the base coat of plaster around them.

Please advise

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Baseboard anchors in plaster-over-brick walls-baseboard_anchor_1.1.jpg   Baseboard anchors in plaster-over-brick walls-baseboard_anchor_2.2.jpg  

amakarevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #2
automated tool pro

what is your question?

Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 PM   #3

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by drywallfinisher View Post
what is your question?
I asked 3 questions in the OP. Basically, is this the way it was done originally?
Old 01-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
automated tool pro

probably not. A good plaster man could run his plaster right to the edge of the wood. working it to a finished edge as the plaster is setting up.....question, is that joint compound on the wall a calcite based plaster? It looks realll wet
Old 01-08-2013, 06:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drywallfinisher View Post
question, is that joint compound on the wall a calcite based plaster? It looks realll wet
plaster. 2.5 x masonry sand, 1 x VA lime works hydraulic lime

Tags
baseboard, plaster