Bad Drywall Taping - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-31-2008, 10:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Bad drywall taping

I am re-doing a room in my house and I have a celing that has a crack running the length of the room. The ceiling has popcorn sprayed texture on it as well. I took off some of the popcorn texture and confirmed that it was the seam of the drywall that is cracking, not the actual drywall. The issue is, I want to take down the popcorn texture to look at the entire ceiling, but the popcorn texture is pretty well adhered to the ceiling (except in a few places where it flakes off) It appears that whoever put this texture up is hiding issues as the texture is not on the ceiling evenly. In some places it's 1/8" thick, in others it's 1/4". Is there anything that will take this texture down without damaging the drywall? I am real hesitant in ripping down the ceiling, as I don't want to have to re-drywall the entire room...any ideas?

Advertisement

GSaunders02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:54 AM   #2
Eibwen

Rewards Points: 500

Bad drywall taping

You can try scraping it off by spraying it damp with a bottle of water.. [small areas at a time]
Leave it sit ten minutes and then try scraping it off with a wide putty knife.

Then retape and maybe skim coat and see what the ceiling finish looks like.

If you cant get it smooth then use a knock down or textured paint to refinish it.

Advertisement

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
General Contractor

Rewards Points: 25

Bad drywall taping

+1 on the water

We usually get a pump up garden sprayer dampen it, then scrape. the trick is to not use to much water so as not to damage the drywall. You will need to find the proper amount of dampness through trial and error, but once you do it should go pretty quick.

Be warned this is very messy, it usually best to take everything out of the room, then put down plastic to catch everything.

Also, it should be noted that depending on the age of the home acoustic ceiling material may contain asbestos.
jensenconstruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Bad drywall taping

Quote:
Originally Posted by jensenconstruction View Post
+1 on the water

We usually get a pump up garden sprayer dampen it, then scrape. the trick is to not use to much water so as not to damage the drywall. You will need to find the proper amount of dampness through trial and error, but once you do it should go pretty quick.

Be warned this is very messy, it usually best to take everything out of the room, then put down plastic to catch everything.

Also, it should be noted that depending on the age of the home acoustic ceiling material may contain asbestos.
The part of the house that has the accoustical ceiling was an addition built in the 80's, so I am assuming there is no asbestos. But, if there was, using water would pretty much eliminate the problem becuase the dust can't get airborne being wet, right?
GSaunders02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

Bad drywall taping

If the ceiling has not been painted, then the wetting and scraping method will work. If it has been painted, that is a whole different ceiling you are dealing with.

Here is a link with a more detailed discussion about popcorn removal, including asbestos:
http://www.naturalhandyman.com/iip/i...opcornoff.html
Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #6

Bad drywall taping

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSaunders02 View Post
The part of the house that has the accoustical ceiling was an addition built in the 80's, so I am assuming there is no asbestos. But, if there was, using water would pretty much eliminate the problem becuase the dust can't get airborne being wet, right?
Even if it was built in the 80's doesn't neccessarily mean that it doesn't have asbestos on the ceiling. The manufacturing of asbestos based materials was stopped in the late 70's (around 1978). However, the materials already sold and in the field, were still being used (installed) after that time.
Contractors & builders were still allowed to use asbestos-containing building supplies, that they already had on hand - until 1986.
Old 01-01-2009, 05:28 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 520

Bad drywall taping

AtlanticWBConst., that was a good post.

if the web link disappears send me a private message as i have a PDF copy on my hard drive.

Knucklez
Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:14 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Bad drywall taping

If you are going to disturb more than a very small area, then you are REQUIRED to perform an asbestos test. Moisten small area and scrape small amount into a plastic bag, tape shut, insert into another plastic bag and send to a lab you can find online or in phone book.

Do run risk of fines or damaging the health of you and others.
kgphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 526

Bad drywall taping

just asking cuz I dont know,,,How much does a test for this cost??
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:01 PM   #10

Bad drywall taping

More Information For Home Owners: http://www.epa.gov/asbestos/pubs/ashome.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4just1don View Post
just asking cuz I dont know,,,How much does a test for this cost??
Test Kits: http://www.acehardware.com/sm-pro-la...i-1296032.html

Plus the cost of having the test itself done (sample needs to be sent out to a lab) See instructions with cost listed here: http://www.prolabinc.com/instructions/asbestos.html
Old 01-01-2009, 08:04 PM   #11

Bad drywall taping

About $50.00
Old 01-01-2009, 11:58 PM   #12
DIYer

Bad drywall taping

A single exposure to asbestos won't do anything. The people that got sick were breathing it in all day every day for years.
Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:32 AM   #13

Bad drywall taping

Make sure to tell that to the lawyer and judge.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:04 AM   #14

Bad drywall taping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigs View Post
A single exposure to asbestos won't do anything. The people that got sick were breathing it in all day every day for years.
I'm sorry, but you are wrong, a single exposure will do something:

"...When asbestos fibers are inhaled, most fibers are expelled, but some can become lodged in the lungs and remain there throughout life...."
- http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/asbestos/as...cts/index.html

Tho, it is chronic exposure (exposure to high concentrations, longer time-periods, and frequency of exposures)- that causes serious asbestos -related disorders and lung damage, ......exposure of any kind, can still imbed dangerous asbestos fibers into the walls of your lungs. That includes any asbestos fibers that are spread through a home's other living spaces, and also, the asbestos fibers that end up on any work-clothes, when a person goes home to their families.

This is hardly something I would catergorize, or describe as; "....won't do anything....".
It's still considered a hazardous material by the EPA, OSHA., and other Health and Safety organizations.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #15
DIYer

Bad drywall taping

Yeah it'll do something alright, pad the bottom line of contractors.

Advertisement

Gigs is offline   Reply With Quote