Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 09:28 AM   #16
Disabled wood vet
 
titanoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,646
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Attaching drywall to bottom of stairs


Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2

FWIW, I just checked with a second friend with a house built in the last decade. He also has no center stringer.
Must be a Chicago thing.
Do you know how to cut another 2x12 stringer for the drywall for the center? I can tell you how if you don't.


Last edited by titanoman; 02-22-2012 at 09:30 AM.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:33 AM   #17
Jack of all - master none
 
hyunelan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SW Suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 1,218
Rewards Points: 522
Default

Attaching drywall to bottom of stairs


Though I'm sure I could search it out, or just copy the cuts on the other stringers - it might be more beneficial to hear it from you.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #18
Disabled wood vet
 
titanoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,646
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Attaching drywall to bottom of stairs


Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2
Though I'm sure I could search it out, or just copy the cuts on the other stringers - it might be more beneficial to hear it from you.
If you're comfortable making the stringer copying the others, I won't go through the involved process of walking you through it.
And nobody here will tell you that you don't need this center member.
Use #2 2x12.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #19
Jack of all - master none
 
hyunelan2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: SW Suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 1,218
Rewards Points: 522
Default

Attaching drywall to bottom of stairs


Talked to the chief building official. He said the center stringer is not required, and not common anymore. As for the 1x12s sistered to the 2x12s, he said "that's about the goofiest way to build the stairs, but there's nothing wrong with it since it will get its strength from the 2x12 its nailed into." He suggested just hanging 2x4s between the 1x12 stringers, at no more than 24" o.c. to support the drywall.
hyunelan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hyunelan2 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (02-22-2012), Willie T (02-22-2012)
Old 02-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #20
Disabled wood vet
 
titanoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,646
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Attaching drywall to bottom of stairs


Quote:
Originally Posted by hyunelan2
Talked to the chief building official. He said the center stringer is not required, and not common anymore. As for the 1x12s sistered to the 2x12s, he said "that's about the goofiest way to build the stairs, but there's nothing wrong with it since it will get its strength from the 2x12 its nailed into." He suggested just hanging 2x4s between the 1x12 stringers, at no more than 24" o.c. to support the drywall.
There you go.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #21
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: SW burbs of Chi-town
Posts: 87
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Attaching drywall to bottom of stairs


A little birdy asked me to check in here.....
My stairs are built the same way!!
My house is from 1980-1981, split level, 6 stairs up and 6 down.
I found out that's how they were built when I pulled them up to fix the squeaking they made and a dip in the floor (a good story in itself) at the base of both sets of stairs.

The stringers were not damaged in any way after 30+yrs. I polit drilled and screwed/ glued both stringers and every tread and riser.
Doorman54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #22
Old School
 
Willie T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Posts: 3,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Attaching drywall to bottom of stairs


This is kind of laughable to me. The comments about center stringers being old techniques, I mean.

Some of the oldest stairways built in America had only two stringers because they were what is called "boxed" stairways. They were actually considered the most difficult and best constructed stairs you could buy. Boxed stairways cannot have a center stringer.

And.... they utilize a much stronger (weight supporting) stringer than the cut stringers in such common usage today.

Cut stringers are VERY low in strength by comparison. If you think about it, all a cut stringer has supporting you is a long, long strip of 2 x about 5 to 5.5 inches deep. Really, pretty bouncy and weak. Thankfully, the side stringers are usually fastened to a wall, greatly increasing their weight carrying capacities.

Perpendicular (ladder style) 2x 4's (or even 1 x 4's) are the way to go for hanging the drywall.

Don't worry a bit about not having a center stringer. If the tread span is within code, and the treads (your REAL weight carrying elements) are as thick as, or thicker than, code requires, you're fine.
__________________
"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
Willie T

Last edited by Willie T; 02-22-2012 at 02:59 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:58 PM   #23
Disabled wood vet
 
titanoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,646
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Attaching drywall to bottom of stairs


Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T
This is kind of laughable to me. The comments about center stringers being old techniques, I mean.

Some of the oldest stairways built in America had only two stringers because they were what is called "boxed" stairways. They were actually considered the most difficult and best constructed stairs you could buy. Boxed stairways cannot have a center stringer.

And.... they utilize a much stronger (weight supporting) stringer than the cut stringers in such common usage today.

Cut stringers are VERY low in strength by comparison. If you think about it, all a cut stringer has supporting you is a long, long strip of 2 x about 5 to 5.5 inches deep. Really, pretty bouncy and weak. Thankfully, the side stringers are usually fastened to a wall, greatly increasing their weight carrying capacities.

Perpendicular 2x 4's (or even 1 x 4's) are the way to go for hanging the drywall.

Don't worry a bit about not having a center stringer. If the tread span is within code, and the treads (your REAL weight carrying elements) are as thick as, or thicker than, code requires, you're fine.
Boxed?
Like a riser and a tread?
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #24
Old School
 
Willie T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Posts: 3,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Attaching drywall to bottom of stairs


No. The stringers are routed out in horizontal and vertical grooves (about half-thickness) and the treads and risers are "fitted" inside the grooves, using wedges to lock and align them.

Give it a Google search. There should be some diagrams online somewhere.
__________________
"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
Willie T
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #25
Disabled wood vet
 
titanoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,646
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Attaching drywall to bottom of stairs


Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T
No. The stringers are routed out in horizontal and vertical grooves (about half-thickness) and the treads and risers are "fitted" inside the grooves, using wedges to lock and align them.

Give it a Google search. There should be some diagrams online somewhere.
Sounds like the hard way if you ask me.
I sure wouldn't fit in with the south side of Chicago I guess.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #26
Old School
 
Willie T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Posts: 3,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Attaching drywall to bottom of stairs


Yes, like much of the almost forgotten craftsmanship of years gone by, it took a lot more time, labor, and skill than most of today's offerings. In fact, I seriously doubt there are even 500 men still living who would have the knowledge and ability to build a set today.
Attached Images
 
__________________
"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
Willie T

Last edited by Willie T; 02-22-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:24 PM   #27
Disabled wood vet
 
titanoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,646
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Attaching drywall to bottom of stairs


Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie T
Yes, like much of the almost forgotten craftsmanship of years gone by, it took a lot more time, labor, and skill than most of today's offerings. In fact, I seriously doubt there are even 500 men still living who would have the knowledge and ability to build a set today.
Just like anything. Tear it apart and see what makes it tick.
Boom. 501.

Before, I couldn't even spell carpenter. Now I is one.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #28
Old School
 
Willie T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Posts: 3,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Attaching drywall to bottom of stairs


It's not that anyone today COULDN'T do it, but that they never will get the chance.
__________________
"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
Willie T
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #29
Disabled wood vet
 
titanoman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 1,646
Rewards Points: 1,000
Default

Attaching drywall to bottom of stairs


Or want to.
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #30
Old School
 
Willie T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: St. Petersburg, FL Minds of moderate caliber ordinarily condemn everything which is beyond them.
Posts: 3,634
Rewards Points: 2,000
Default

Attaching drywall to bottom of stairs


Yeah. Did you know that the sheet metal on early automobiles was "welded" together by hammering on the joints till they fused together? No one would do that today, no matter how cool it is.

__________________
"True eloquence consists in saying all that is necessary, and only that which is."
François Duc de La Rochefoucauld
Willie T
Willie T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Willie T For This Useful Post:
edselsouth1 (02-25-2012)
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Questions about building stairs. cvriv.charles Building & Construction 7 12-19-2012 05:04 PM
Attaching deck stairs to brick patio skipaola Building & Construction 2 10-19-2010 02:55 PM
Attaching bottom plate to concrete at edge near wall BlueBSH Building & Construction 13 06-13-2010 05:05 PM
Anything special for attaching drywall to the ceiling? tripower Drywall & Plaster 4 06-29-2009 09:29 AM
drywall on stairs goodman Carpentry 11 03-20-2005 11:45 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.