Asbestos Plaster - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:48 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Asbestos plaster

Im about to repair plaster in a 80+ yr old home, what is the best or easiest way to determine if it contains asbestos?

Advertisement

sjadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Asbestos plaster

get a appraisel from a liscensed contractor or you may be able to go to the county health board they may be able to test this for you and if it was me i would ask lowes if they have something you can buy or rent that will alert you to lead remember the lead is only poisionous if inhaled or digested if the paint is flacking then clean up with wet rag keep mouth and nose covers whenever you remove suspicious material keep all dust at low levels and seperated from heating ducks fans air conditioners humidifiers and such good louck a general contractor or subcontractor for paint should have a way to test

Advertisement

lrobertstoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:03 AM   #3

Asbestos plaster

most of your old plaster did not have asbestos it was lime and horse hair that made the plaster mud i got a 1983 home just bought it i do believe that that is what was used in those days asbesto gained its popularity around the 1930 and ran untill 1990 you are probably safe but always do your home work first
Old 03-25-2011, 04:16 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

Asbestos plaster

Have it tested by someone who is EPA certified. If the plaster itself doesn't contain lead, the paint likely does. Any home built prior to 1978 is considered at risk for lead. Lead was actually mixed into the paint on-site at one time to help with durability and color.....
Old 03-25-2011, 05:58 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

Asbestos plaster

I'm not concerned with lead paint, but with asbestos fibers in plaster. I have googles that homes built in this year range contained plaster decoration with asbestos mixed in
sjadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 06:42 PM   #6

Asbestos plaster

sorry the house was 1893 not 1993 but still the same have a certified person check it but ill bet it is safe from asbestos
Old 03-27-2011, 04:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 250

Asbestos plaster

some of the old "texture" paint over plaster in the older homes do contain asbestos. I almost bought one a few years ago (the deal fell through for reasons unrelated) and it tested positive for asbestos in the paint/texture/plaster plane of the walls in several rooms.

as someone already noted, find a company that is certified and have them test it for you. they will most likely also give you a quote for removal.

Advertisement

1910NE is offline   Reply With Quote