DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

another method of hanging ceiling drywall?

23K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  ToolSeeker 
#1 ·
Hi

In a few weeks, I will be hanging drywall on the ceilings and a few walls of my house. I am on a very tight budget at the moment, so I am trying to figure out the most cost-efficient way of hanging my ceiling drywall without breaking my back or damaging the drywall.

I figure renting a drywall lift may be the way to go, but I have seen these telescoping pole support thingies (like this: http://www.industrialproducts.com/Quick-Support-Drywall-Tool-p/qs50.htm )

Has anybody used one of these with success? Can it be done solo? Is it any better than using homemade 'T' supports?

I will be hanging 4' x 8' sheets of 1/2" drywall on an 8' high ceiling.

As I mentioned, I am on a tight budget and plan to do one room at a time (I have more time than money). I am often doing the work by myself. I am fairly strong and sometimes can get a helper, but I am wondering if I should even consider trying this pole thing.

(I suppose I could try and build DangerMouse's homemade lift. :))

Thanks,

See less See more
#2 ·
I've not used these for hanging drywall...not sure I would. They look very familiar to the version sold at Harbor Freight...and I'm not generally a HF fan. I found these work well to help support light weight things...but I don't believe I'd walk under a single support like shown in the picture.

Did you check into renting a DW lift? Around here you can rent one for less than $20 per day and you can do it solo with the lift. Other than that, I'd further trust a the good ol handy "T".

#3 ·
I have looked into renting a lift, but it's kind of a pain in the arfe. The house is on an island. There is a small equipment rental place on the island, but they don't rent dw lifts. This means going quite a distance to rent one. Also, I don't always take my vehicle with me. Ferries get expensive if I continually go there by car.

#4 ·
The pic on the link looks like a guy hanging about a 4' piece, not a whole 8' sheet. The trick is that you have to get that full sheet up there and butted tightly to the previous sheet(s) and then somehow get your support(s) in place. Hardly a one man job. I wouldn't waste the money. If you need extra support while you (and a helper) fasten the sheet, use a wooden "dead man".

#7 ·
#8 ·
one drawback to my homemade lift for you may be that it works best with a helper to raise it up level until it's close to the ceiling, then roll into place, half-turn or two of the crank to lock it tight, and screw. you CAN do it by yourself, but it's harder to keep it level while cranking. perhaps if i raised the crank? hmmm

DM

#9 ·
The "Freehands" might work. Are you capable of lifting an 8' sheet of rock and getting it in place by yourself??? If your room is over 8', you need to have a set to go on the "butt" end of the sheet as well as the tapered edge. You can see how the sheet was bowing while the guy was hanging, hard to get both the end and side lined up by yourself...... Believe me, ceilings are a two person job unless you have a lift.

#10 ·
I think you have already stated the best answer... a good old fashioned T made out of 2x4s. Less than $4 to build, plus you can use the wood somewhere else when you are done. It might take a few sheets to get used to using them, but hell, I learned when I was 13 years old. It takes a little dexterity, and a 2nd person helps, but you can do it alone. They actually work much like the link you put up, but the cross bar gives you better stability.

#11 ·
Ceiling drywall by yourself

Hi. I am a woman, short, chubby, and approaching 50 years. I figured out a way to hang drywall on the ceiling without help, and without a cumbersome hoist. I used strapping, like a trucker uses for cinching a load to his truck bed, and drywall screws. I sandwiched each of the four ends of two 4'+ lengths of heavy duty strapping between 1/4" plywood squares, using bolts, and drilled holes through the sandwiches big enough to accommodate the shaft of a drywall screw. I screwed the ends of the strapping to the ceiling joists, making a hammock for the sheet of wallboard. I set one end of the sheet against the first hammock, and lifted the other end of the sheet into the second hammock. The strapping holds the sheet a few inches from the joists, allowing me to fasten the edges. I cannot lift a 12' sheet of wallboard this way, but two men could. My method is quicker, easier, less costly, and takes up far less room than a hoist.

#16 ·
Hiring it out might be the best bet as you'll need some sort of scaffold for the finishing (unless you just want to deal with a ladder). If you don't have one, you'll have to rent that too. A contractor should be able to do the job reasonably by the time you consider rental fees, and get it done more efficiently (quicker). Though you won't have the "fun" of doing it yourself....

#15 ·
I've never used a lift, but if I weren't in the drywall business and hadn't been hanging for 35 years, I might look into one. And as I get older and take on smaller projects where it may not be worth hiring a helper I may end up buying one. I've heard of several people on this forum and others who purchase a lift new on EBAY and sell it after using it to recoup some of the money. Cheaper than renting if you need on for several rooms at different times.....

#18 ·
Since this thread has been dredged up and I am the original poster, I might as well give an update.

I ended up buying a used dw lift that was for sale on Craigslist. The guy selling it was in a similar situation - it was more cost-effective for him to buy one than rent, but he only needed it to drywall one job. He gave me a good deal on it. I used it for the 4 or 5 days it took to hang all my drywall and then I listed it on Craigslist. I ended up selling it for the same price I bought it. :thumbup:

The guy I sold it to only needs it for one job and then he plans to resell it.

I hung all of my drywall solo. Some of it was 10' sheets. It was sometimes cumbersome to maneuver into the tricky spots in my kitchen above the counters but totally doable solo when planned properly.

#19 ·
Again, I can't speak from actual experience, but I would think they'd work fine for occasional use. I wouldn't expect them to stand up to daily use very well. Harbor freight sells a lift that I would assume to be about the quality to be expected from EBAY lifts. From the LOOKS of it, it should work fine, but I don't buy HF tools for long term use. I consider them "disposable" or limited use......

#22 ·
I have a DW lift from Menards...and aside from the color, it's 99.9% identical to the PanelLift model. I love mine...I use it to support all sorts of overhead lifting tasks...sometimes it does get a bit cumbersome with the tricycle wheel set up..but it's better than bust'n a gut!

#23 ·
I would never use the one in the picture it be a continuous balance act that you would not enjoy. If you can get a helper you should be able to hang 4x8 1/2" sheets pretty easy. or with the aid of a helper make a deadman out of scrap 2x4s. And in case you are not aware of it they now carry a light weight 1/2"4x8 sheet, I would ask about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.