DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Drywall & Plaster (
-   -   Another drywall question (

Curious Homeown 11-05-2009 03:39 PM

Another drywall question
The situation is

The ceiling has been stripped of paint down to the drywall, however, a lot of it has been taken down past the first thin layer of paper covering drywall. Can this be repaired to match the rest of the ceiling?

Thank you

pyper 11-06-2009 11:52 AM

You could cover it with a layer of 1/4" if the joists can take the additional load, or you could remove it and replace it.

You could spray or trowel a texture over it.

You could install plastic tin-like panels on it.

Maintenance 6 11-06-2009 03:00 PM

If it still has paper left, you can skim coat it with drywall compound. If you have removed the paper down to the gypsum core, then you need to either cover it with a 1/4" drywall panel or remove and replace. The paper facing gives the drywall a large part of it's strength and integrity.

bjbatlanta 11-09-2009 03:12 PM

As stated above, if there is still at least one layer of paper over the core of the board it can be "glaze" coated with mud and painted. You will need to prime before mudding with oil based primer, lightly sand the entire surface (the primer will tend to make the loose paper "fuzz" up), coat the entire surface with 2 or 3 coats of joint compound, sand, prime again, and paint. Another layer may be your best bet. Or hire a professional.........

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1