Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Anchoring to bilayer wallboard

I'm having trouble using expanding-type drywall anchors in my new place. They tend to punch through the paper and spin rather than bite into the backside of the wallboard.

This house (moved here 2 months ago) has some of that 60's style wallboard that has a layer of plaster and a layer of gypsum drywall fused together in one sheet. Unlike my old house, it's mounted gypsum side out. And, the gypsum is very soft with paper that breaks easily.

So I'm pretty sure what's happening, like in the picture attached, is that when the fins on the anchor expand , the back plaster layer is so hard the expanding fins just pull the front through the paper into the soft plaster. Since they never dug into the plaster, now the anchor spins in place and the barbs on the front destroy the gypsum and paper. This happens to more than half the anchors I set.

I have a lot of heavy-duty things to hang in this house: shelves, curtains, etc. where plastic sleeve-type anchors won't do. I don't always have a stud in the right place. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Anchoring to bilayer wallboard-image-1938912199.jpg  

IdahoEv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 05:25 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,152

Should not be trying to hang heavy objects with fastners just in the drywall.
Use toggle bolts with long screws to make sure they go all the through the wall.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 02:21 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 25

I'll use toggle bolts where I can,but the problem with them is that you can't remove and replace the bolt without the toggle falling. Sometimes I need to be able to set the anchor and the pull the bolt to insert it through something. Or leave the bolt a little bit loose for a fixture to hang on it.

Anyway, I'm not talking about *really* heavy things. For example, when earthquake bolting furniture or hanging shelves I always find a stud. I'm talking about the kind of thing where many people would use plastic sleeves, but I want something a bit stronger for durability. Today it was a coat hook that came with plastic anchors that I wanted to upgrade. I've used metal expanders successfully a lot in other houses, but I'm having trouble with them here because of the funny wallboard.
IdahoEv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 08:32 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,518

Check the big box stores or local hardware store they usually have a pretty good selection of different types of fasteners for all types of situations.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote