Anchoring To Bilayer Wallboard - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 52
Rewards Points: 41

Anchoring to bilayer wallboard

I'm having trouble using expanding-type drywall anchors in my new place. They tend to punch through the paper and spin rather than bite into the backside of the wallboard.

This house (moved here 2 months ago) has some of that 60's style wallboard that has a layer of plaster and a layer of gypsum drywall fused together in one sheet. Unlike my old house, it's mounted gypsum side out. And, the gypsum is very soft with paper that breaks easily.

So I'm pretty sure what's happening, like in the picture attached, is that when the fins on the anchor expand , the back plaster layer is so hard the expanding fins just pull the front through the paper into the soft plaster. Since they never dug into the plaster, now the anchor spins in place and the barbs on the front destroy the gypsum and paper. This happens to more than half the anchors I set.

I have a lot of heavy-duty things to hang in this house: shelves, curtains, etc. where plastic sleeve-type anchors won't do. I don't always have a stud in the right place. Any suggestions on what I should do?

Attached Thumbnails
Anchoring to bilayer wallboard-image-1938912199.jpg  


IdahoEv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #2
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 34,432
Rewards Points: 13,994

Should not be trying to hang heavy objects with fastners just in the drywall.
Use toggle bolts with long screws to make sure they go all the through the wall.


joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 01:21 AM   #3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 52
Rewards Points: 41

I'll use toggle bolts where I can,but the problem with them is that you can't remove and replace the bolt without the toggle falling. Sometimes I need to be able to set the anchor and the pull the bolt to insert it through something. Or leave the bolt a little bit loose for a fixture to hang on it.

Anyway, I'm not talking about *really* heavy things. For example, when earthquake bolting furniture or hanging shelves I always find a stud. I'm talking about the kind of thing where many people would use plastic sleeves, but I want something a bit stronger for durability. Today it was a coat hook that came with plastic anchors that I wanted to upgrade. I've used metal expanders successfully a lot in other houses, but I'm having trouble with them here because of the funny wallboard.
IdahoEv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:32 PM   #4
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: outside ocala fl
Posts: 5,477
Rewards Points: 5,978

Check the big box stores or local hardware store they usually have a pretty good selection of different types of fasteners for all types of situations.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wallboard Lennis Carpentry 1 09-27-2011 01:36 PM
Bathroom wallboard hotbread Drywall & Plaster 2 01-30-2011 06:40 PM
Screwing Cementious Wallboard smata67 Building & Construction 2 07-13-2009 09:39 AM
Can Sagging Ceiling Wallboard Be Straightened? MrBill_DIY Building & Construction 4 07-23-2008 01:42 PM
wallboard type analogmusicman Building & Construction 3 02-20-2008 03:24 AM

Top of Page | View New Posts


Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1