Am I Being Too Critical? - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2014, 12:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 133

Am I being too critical?

Getting drywall hung/tapped and bullnose corner bead installed. The hanger didn't do too bad of a job, except for these.

As far as I'm concerned, that's drywall 101, and I'm going to have him fix these.

Now for the corner bead. The guy that put the corner bead on (not the hanger) has been dry walling for 20+ years and claimed he has put a lot of bullnose up.

My biggest concerns are these:
  • He used nails instead of spray adhesive.
  • the drywall is cut back too far in the corners leaving about 1/4" to 1/2" of overlap between drywall and mud flange in some places.
  • the bottom corner pieces are not installed at the same height (as if he eyeballed them).
  • mud flange is twisted and mangled in a lot of areas.

I've put bullnose up myself in other places in the house and been very happy with the result, but no one could stay in business at the pace I work. Am I being too critical of his work to this point, or is this looking like a bad install?

Thanks

Advertisement

chemman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:42 AM   #2
paper hanger and painter

Rewards Points: 2,228

Am I being too critical?

looks mighty nasty to me

Advertisement

chrisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 07:13 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,674

Am I being too critical?

When finish mud is done most of those will be hidden but it's still a bad job.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (09-13-2014), MTN REMODEL LLC (07-27-2014), oh'mike (07-25-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 862

Am I being too critical?

Toolseeker is correct in my opinion.A bad job but can still finish out good if they have better finishers than hangers.I'm wondering why they left the casing on and gutted to it instead of removing it and doing it correct?
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mako1 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (09-13-2014), MTN REMODEL LLC (07-27-2014)
Old 07-25-2014, 05:53 PM   #5

Am I being too critical?

After re-looking ending the drywall and putting those seams at the corners of the windows and the corner of any door is a guarantee you will get cracks. It's not if it's when. That is hanging 101. Also you don't put a seam in the middle of a door or window either. I don't see any but be aware.
Old 07-25-2014, 09:38 PM   #6

Am I being too critical?

Quote:
Also you don't put a seam in the middle of a door or window either.
I've never heard that one before!

Quote:
When finish mud is done most of those will be hidden but it's still a bad job.
I realize that the mud will hide it all, I'm just worried that every piece will wind up cracking. After the third warranty call I'll kill the guy when he shows up, that's if he ever shows up to the first warranty call. Would using hot mud instead of green lid be something to specify in this case, or would it be best to kick him to the curb and get a different finisher?
Old 07-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #7

Am I being too critical?

I rarely say this because usually there are 2 sides to a story but from the pics I think I would look for somebody else. Nails instead of glue isn't that bad. but the cuts and the alignment on the corners is bad.

Bullnose is a different animal from regular corner bead and will show mistakes a lot more. It's really hard to tell in the pics but it doesn't look like the drywall is set back. Take a level and make sure it's straight. This will all show with bullnose.
The Following User Says Thank You to ToolSeeker For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 05:08 PM   #8

Am I being too critical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolSeeker View Post
I rarely say this because usually there are 2 sides to a story but from the pics I think I would look for somebody else. Nails instead of glue isn't that bad. but the cuts and the alignment on the corners is bad.

Bullnose is a different animal from regular corner bead and will show mistakes a lot more. It's really hard to tell in the pics but it doesn't look like the drywall is set back. Take a level and make sure it's straight. This will all show with bullnose.
That's the second thing I noticed was that the corners were badly mitered. A few are so bad that there is no way he is going to hide it with mud. The drywall is cut back, but too far in my opinion. I've cut flush with the stud and I've also shaved a square corner back with a rasp and both times the mud flange sat completely on top of drywall. This is cut so far back that at most half of the flange is sitting on drywall. My wife and I discussed this at length and after she told me about a few conversations she overheard the drywallers having this is what we've decided. He's already been called and told that no further work is to be done until we have a face to face meeting. We will demand that the joints overtop of the windows be fixed, all bullnose removed, the hammer damaged drywall be replaced, and new bullnose hung properly, at no charge to us. I'm sure he'll balk and at that point I'll tell him to walk. At that point we'll start looking for another drywaller, but be much more careful this time.
The Following User Says Thank You to chemman For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (07-27-2014)
Old 07-27-2014, 09:41 PM   #9
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,096

Am I being too critical?

As Phil Rizzuto used to say HOLY COW! Reminds me of the song 9 lb hammer. Apparently "finesse" is not in this guys vocabulary. I always hang drywall horizontal, and I just cut out for the doors and windows. I like cupped edges, so I buy the drywall to span the room, since it comes in so many sizes. Boy, this is rough.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 10:20 PM   #10
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 2,218

Am I being too critical?

Well.... I'm sure glad I'm not trying to finish that....

...matter of fact, you otta be glad also that I'm not finishing that.

Good luck!!!!! You're gonna need it.

Best

BTW.... in answer to your question :Am I being too critical?

NO.. I don't think so.... rock and beading is not cabinetry.... but I would be livid and using the F word with any sub that left that for my finisher.

This is a classic example and weakness of "specialazation",,, where one trade/job performs substandard work with the expectectation that the next trade will have to cover their deficiencies....

Last edited by MTN REMODEL LLC; 07-27-2014 at 10:41 PM.
MTN REMODEL LLC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:13 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 254

Am I being too critical?

how come he didn't use the pre molded corner pieces ? the drywall can be worked with but would have done better with the bead work . they make a pre molded corner though like the bottom piece transition .
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 11:56 PM   #12

Rewards Points: 626

Am I being too critical?

Trim tex is to use divergant staples plus adhisive. And i would with hold payment till fixed.
Nailbags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:31 PM   #13
Jello Wrangler

Rewards Points: 121

Am I being too critical?

Seams on the corners of doors and Windows.

Nailing up the corner instead of glue and staples.

Hacked up jacked up corners.

Gotta say that's a pretty nasty job. Did a blind guy with no thumbs do it?
ChiTownPro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 10:44 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 264

Am I being too critical?

Wow,
That's some job they did on the corner bead.

I remember watching guys use a tool to install metal corner bead and the thing looked absolutely perfect when they were done. I've also seen them done with nails and looked near perfect as well.

It looks like your guys not only would've bent the hell out of a metal corner bead, but they even beat the crap out of the drywall.
http://youtu.be/y2LWjT3e7uQ
cj133 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cj133 For This Useful Post:
ChiTownPro (09-12-2014)
Old 09-12-2014, 11:45 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 2,500

Am I being too critical?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemman View Post
Now for the corner bead. The guy that put the corner bead on (not the hanger) has been dry walling for 20+ years and claimed he has put a lot of bullnose up.
Oh, if only I had a dollar for every guy who said he had a lot of experience who actually did a ****ty job.... well I don't know what I'd do exactly but I sure wouldn't be hanging around these forums any more!

Practice doesn't make perfect, it just makes habits. He learned to do ****ty work 20 years ago and he's been doing it that way ever since, with nary an hour off to study or improve. So sad, yet so common.

Advertisement

jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote