Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-21-2011, 09:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

alligator and flaking paint

I have a skylight in our master bathroom and the paint on the drywall is flaking. It appears that when I scrape the parts that are flaking that I am getting down to the cardboard face of the drywall. Apparently this is not green board so anything special.

What would be your recommendation to repair this? I am concerned that if I just scrape what is peeling now and then paint, there will be other sections that begin to peel later. Should I consider the dirty and consuming job of ripping out all of this sheetrock and replacing it altogether? I hope not but I want it done right.

I also have similar alligator or flaking paint in our other hall bathroom. Any recommendations for this?

Attached are pictures of the skylight problem as well as the other bathroom.

Thank you!

alligator and flaking paint-img_1867.jpg

alligator and flaking paint-img_1866.jpg

4x15mph2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #2

Here is the other bathroom picture with the alligator paint.

alligator and flaking paint-img_1869.jpg

Old 08-21-2011, 10:17 AM   #3
NACE Coating Inspector

looks lke you may have a possible roof leak or improperly installed insulation/vapor barrier at the vertical framing leading up to the shylight.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 10:28 AM   #4

Could this just be a matter of moisture in the bathroom with the wrong kind or older paint? This is a 1989 built house

What should I do next?

If I wanted to have a professional look at this, would it be a drywall repairer or a painter?
Old 08-21-2011, 03:44 PM   #5

I went in the attic and there is insulation around the skylight, sheetrock enclosure. There is a vapor barrier on the insulation.

I checked for any roof leaks and it was raining hard so I would have saw any as well as any evidence. There are no leaks

Any help here?
Old 08-21-2011, 07:13 PM   #6
NACE Coating Inspector

If you don't have any visible moisture problems then it may be a problem with the ventilation in the bathroom. I'm not a house painter but you will need to scrape all of the loose paint, prime, skim coat, prime and then two coats of acrylic paint. You may want to check this advise from someone that deals with house painting issues. Your problem still looks like a moisture issue to me that needs to be corrected. Alligatoring paints usually happen when paint is applied too heavy which will cause the surface to skin before it is dry on the substaight.
mustangmike3789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:08 PM   #7
Drywall contractor

I agree it's a moisture issue on the first two pics. All the steam and vapor from showers/baths rises. It will accumulate on the skylight and run off down the sheetrock. Make sure your exhaust fan (assuming you have one) is doing an adequate job. Scrape, prime, and repaint with quality paint and you should be ok.
The third pic would seem to be more likely a leak from above considering it's right next to the exhaust fan, but I guess it could be from steam if the paint wasn't of good quality....