Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2011, 03:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Airtight Drywall Seams Around Existing Duct?

I want to hang drywall in my basement, but leave existing HVAC duct twisting in and out of holes in the new drywall. I can cut holes in the drywall and run the duct through the holes but I am also trying to achieve an air-tight seal.

This project is a basement workshop I want to build in one portion of an unfinished basement. I have a low ceiling and I don't want to drywall the ceiling or cover the duct work with drywall. I can re-route some ducts to avoid this new room but there will be a mandatory 18" insulated duct that comes into the shop area through one wall (near the ceiling), runs along the ceiling, then exits the opposite wall (near the ceiling). I don't care how pretty it looks, I just want to prevent saw dust from escaping the room through gaps between the drywall hole where the duct runs through.

Any ideas?

I was wondering if the big box stores sold some kind of giant escutcheon, similar to what plumbers use to run toilet supply pipes up through floors/walls.

EricCJacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:49 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

around the ducts i would tape it so you have about a 3/16s - 1/4 inch gap and then use a product called fire caulk betwen the rock and the duct . thats what they use on some residential but mostly commercial for fire proofing.

oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 02:53 PM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,334

If the ducts are square you could trim the gap with door weather stripping.
Old 07-06-2011, 12:37 PM   #4
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,000

Yeah, the fire caulk wouldn't be a bad idea if you're concerned with a chance of a "flash fire" from the sawdust. Chances would be slim unless you're doing a full blown cabinet shop or something like that. Low expansion foam would be much cheaper and serve the same purpose. Fire caulk is not cheap....
Old 07-07-2011, 10:14 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

true it is expensive but dont really know what his exact situation is . for example any daycare going on etc.
oldrivers is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drywall, duct, hvac, seams, workshop