Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-10-2010, 06:40 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Adding green glue and 5/8"

I live in a 1st floor condo and I have decided to add green glue and a layer of 5/8" drywall to the entire ceiling and 2 shared walls. How do I extend the a/c grilles down an extra 5/8" to accomodate the new finish height? Do they sell extensions of some sort or do I just attach the finish grille with longer screws. I know they have electrical box extensions for when I do the extra layer on the walls and the recessed lights are adjustable.
Secondly, one of the shared walls is only shared for 2/3 of the way down the wall and then I have a door that goes to the exterior. Obviously I'm only concerned about adding the extra layer on the 2/3 that is shared but I have to carry it all the way down around the door so it is even. If I do that,how is the door caseing going to work beacause I have just increased the thickness of the wall around the door. If I just reattach the caseing to the new layer the caseing will be sitting 5/8" off the jamb and will not look right. Thanks for any info guys.

Bigmike33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:31 AM   #2
Soundproofing Guy

The air vent question was addressed on another post, but your door will require field-built extension jambs. Usually clear Pine or Poplar is used. You rip stock wood down with a table saw to fill that 5/8" gap. Sand smooth and paint to match.

Ted White is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ted White For This Useful Post:
Axecutioner-B (06-11-2010)
Old 06-11-2010, 08:47 PM   #3

Ok thanks alot. So I guess i would drywall first then just fill in whatever gap is there 5/8" + or -. I just didnt know if there was something more complex than that. very simple thanks again.
Bigmike33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:11 AM   #4
Soundproofing Guy

Let us know how this works!
Old 06-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #5

If it's an inswing door then the extension jamb will prevent the hinges from opening all the way. If you reinstall the whole jamb in 5/8" so the hinges work you could put the extension jambs on the outside - but then you should also extend the door sill.

I'd be tempted to end the drywall short of the door and finish the edge with a bullnose, trim or even a small drywall box as if you needed a chase there.
jogr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
Soundproofing Guy

Good point about the jamb and hinges. Regarding the drywall, for sound isolation you ideally want to run the drywall to the jamb and seal it to the jamb with quality acoustical sealant.

The gap that is commonly left between the drywall and jamb (window or door) and drywall is a common flanking path. Meaning the sound sneaks through, even if covered by cosmetic trim molding.

Tags
adding layer of drywall, door caseing, door jamb thickness, extra drywall and door, green glue