Add New Wall To The Old Room - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-02-2012, 10:15 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 256

add new wall to the old room

I am adding a new wall in an existing old big room. The big room has drywalled and painted and all finished.

I just finished framing and standing the wall up in the middle of the room.

As I am going to have to drywall right up to the existing finished drywall on the ceiling and on the two sides, I am wondering how to finish the edges. Normal drywall finishing corners won't work here....

Thanks

Advertisement

hohadcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

What's the issue?? Ceiling texture? If it's a slick ceiling, there shouldn't be an issue.... A picture may help.

Advertisement

Old 06-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 572

Drywall tape is used at the ceiling and wall joints, at the exposed ends if there area any get metal outside corners.
You did add blocking in the attic to attach the top of the wall to and opened up the wall so blocking and nailers to suppost the sheetrock could get added to attach the wall to, right?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 256

My questions was, if I should still use the drywall tapes at the 90 degree inner corners where new drywall meets the old walls on the both sides and on the ceiling. (one side is the new drywall, the other side would be the already finished and painted old wall).

So, we should use the drywall tapes just like when we are doing all new drywalls.
hohadcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 512

you can totally tape old to new. the only issue is you my get some pinning on the old wall. apply your mud, scrap it off and reapply the mud, done.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:48 AM   #6
Drywall contractor

Rewards Points: 1,044

As long as both surfaces are smooth, you can tape the corners with no problem. Didn't know if you might have a textured ceiling and/or walls you might be dealing with.

Advertisement