Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-01-2012, 08:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,244

2 drywall install questions.

P&L is down, to studs.

1. wall corner, inside. one wall is exterior, an interior wall comes up to it, but in between the exterior wall studs. so to have a place for the P&L to "end", there is a board for support. i am putting up drywall. this support board is not flush(into the cavity). and i have yet to get it to move flush. in the pic, its the top board.

what can i do to fix this ?

2. 3 walls are getting new drywall. ceiling is P&L that i am putting drywall over. 1 wall already has drywall on it. what can i do to the interface of the new & old drywall ?
Attached Thumbnails
2 drywall install questions.-img_1793.jpg  

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,990

I'd slide a bi-metal saws all blade between the sud and the board and cut off the old cut nails and slide it out.
Your going to some how have to slide some 2 X 4's in that corner for nailers for the new sheetrock.

Anytime your working with old studs it's rare to have the wall be flat along the face of the studs. May want to pull a sting over the whole wall and check it.
Simple enough to sister some new studs in along the wall and shim where the butt joints come out.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #3

i was wanting to leave that there. as it keeps the inside wall separated from the outside wall a little. petty, perhaps. but i believe there is something to it.

i am thinking that i will drill a few holes, and use nuts & bolts to draw it up tight.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 152

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
i was wanting to leave that there. as it keeps the inside wall separated from the outside wall a little. petty, perhaps. but i believe there is something to it.

i am thinking that i will drill a few holes, and use nuts & bolts to draw it up tight.
I have the same situation in my bathroom...old house...nailers put in place for sheet rock and tile...and I'm going to use my sawsall to cut the nails...and pull them out and put in a 2x4 nailer...just as suggested earlier.

Just FYI....
Ed911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 08:51 PM   #5

the nuts/bolts did the trick splendidly.

now. if there is a good way to butt ceiling drywall to wall drywall ...... but i guess i will have to take down the remaining wall, even though it is in good shape
Old 07-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 186

When i remodel and have old studs like those i sister new studs on the side of the old ones to get a nice straight wall.

scottktmrider is offline   Reply With Quote