DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Drywall & Plaster (
-   -   135 degree corners (

screwy 04-05-2011 09:57 AM

135 degree corners
Need some advice and my drywall terminology ain't the best so bear with me. I made some bulkheads with 135 degree angle, the outside corners are simple enough but the inside are a challenge. In the past I bullnosed some, but this time I went with a standard "sharp/sqaure" corner. I have tried these corners two ways. First bedding tape then doing each side one at a time. Second I tried to use the adjustable corner tool. I believe the corner tool CAN do a better job but feel I am using it improperly.

Can I get some input on the best way and how you go about doing so.

I will be doing more in the future,

lrobertstoner 04-05-2011 03:47 PM

did you use paper or other for your angel
second is your angel running true
third the tool doesnt work to good i would assume you are useing a corner trowl or duble sided angel tool
i would advise you to use a 5" knife running one side then the other let dry
then check with chalk line to make sure your angel is running straight
fix where needed then put a skim coat over you can use a broad knife 8-12" knife to help fix any angel that is off
i have seen alot of diff ways to finish out and most inexperienced will round a angel like that rather than having patience and delligence
i use the broad knife as a straight edge this will help from following the rut of the angle

screwy 04-05-2011 04:23 PM

I used paper. I framed my bulkhead and they are very straight. The angle is spot on. It is a corner trowel that is adjustable.

bjbatlanta 04-06-2011 09:18 AM

Just my opinion, but corner trowels are useless. If your angle is right, I'd agree to run one side at a time with a 5" (or 6" as some people prefer). Use a sanding sponge to sand. You should be able to take out any unevenness with sanding. Some sort of flex type bead/tape might have made things easier.....

screwy 04-06-2011 09:50 AM

Ahhh inside metal corner bead! I think I'll give that a go next time, thanks. Don't get me wrong the corners look fantastic but the amount of time is what I am trying to cut down on.

bjbatlanta 04-06-2011 10:29 AM

It's actually metal reinforced paper bead (Sure Corner is one brand that comes to mind). Or there's a product called Strait-Flex that's more of a heavy paper/composite that's pre-creased allowing you to adjust to the angle you need. It still all comes down to the final sanding....

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1