1/4" Flex Rock - Drywall & Plaster - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Drywall & Plaster

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-25-2013, 03:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,000

1/4" flex rock

I am planning rounded corners for my house hallways. My plan is to bend 1/4" Flex Rock on an 8" radius. I have never used the flexible 1/4" sheetrock before. Will it bend to an 8" radius? If not, what is the tightest radius I can bend it to? Does it need to be wetted and bent slowly, say over a two day period, then allowed to dry in a jig? I will install 2 layers of it, and the ends where it meets the 5/8" 'rock on the walls will be "butt boarded" in some fashion. Thanks. john

Advertisement

jklingel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,694

1/4" flex rock

You should not need to wet flex board. But to be honest an 8" radius seems awful tight. I would check the companies web site to see if that is doable. Or maybe someone on here will know.

Advertisement

ToolSeeker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 07:58 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 512

1/4" flex rock

i did a job last year with some really tight outside corner curves at the bottom of a stair case for getting furniture down the stairs and around the corner easier. they were around a 10-12". i put studs in every 2-3inches. and then i layed the drywall on the floor face down and dumped a bucket of water on it and let it sit for 20-30min. i then took the sheet and i started at one side and screwed my way down each stud screwing every 4-6" on each stud. The trick to wetting it is getting it wet enough to be able to flex to what you need but not to mushy that the screws cant hold the paper. 8" might be a little to tight.
if anyone has a better way i'd like to hear in case i ever run into this situation again.
princelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 09:15 PM   #4
www.inspectorzo.com

Rewards Points: 75
Send a message via Skype™ to InspectorZo
Talking

1/4" flex rock

Agree!
My suggestion is 12" minimum radius to be safe.
btw, if the screws (don't use nails) screw through/crumble the outer paper, it's too wet. You need to maintain that outside paper in tact to avoid cosmetic problems on the radius later.
Good Luck!

InspectorZo

Quote:
Originally Posted by princelake View Post
i did a job last year with some really tight outside corner curves at the bottom of a stair case for getting furniture down the stairs and around the corner easier. they were around a 10-12". i put studs in every 2-3inches. and then i layed the drywall on the floor face down and dumped a bucket of water on it and let it sit for 20-30min. i then took the sheet and i started at one side and screwed my way down each stud screwing every 4-6" on each stud. The trick to wetting it is getting it wet enough to be able to flex to what you need but not to mushy that the screws cant hold the paper. 8" might be a little to tight.
if anyone has a better way i'd like to hear in case i ever run into this situation again.
InspectorZo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:20 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,080

1/4" flex rock

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...,d.cGE&cad=rja

Gary
InspectorZo (04-25-2013), princelake (04-26-2013), ToolSeeker (04-26-2013)