DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1/2 wood and 1/2 concrete wall.

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  nards444 
#1 ·
I will be installing drywall in the basement of my house. The problem is the basement wall consists of the upper 1/2 built of wood studs and the bottom 1/2 concrete as the basement foundation only goes up part way. What should I do to make a complete drywall from top to bottom.

#2 ·
Easiest thing would be to pretend the entire thing is concrete and frame a new wall in front of it. You could play games and glue the bottom part of the drywall on or even screw it into the concrete if you really want to save space, but drywall touching concrete is generally frowned upon. Plus it leaves no room for electrical or insulation if you want those.

Other options would be furring strips or just framing out the low portion and having a small shelf.

#3 ·
#5 ·
your going tow want to use framing and not attach anything to concrete. Due to shifting, moisture etc. If you want to save space they do have those 2x4s that are about half the size of regular 2x4s which usually is enough room to run electrical. Insulation might be a problem though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.